Redoing Front Porch - Extra Ideas?

Old 03-03-21, 08:45 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Redoing Front Porch - Extra Ideas?

Hi All,

We are in the (very) beginning stages of planning on re-doing our front porch, and I am looking for any "extras" people can think of that can/should be added when we redo it.

It is a covered (via overhang) front porch with approximate dimensions of about 30' x 7'; it has two ceiling fans/lights in the overhang (maybe overhang is the wrong word - it does cover the entire porch). We use it during spring, summer, and fall.

We are going to redo it (most likely in a composite material, e.g., Trex, depending on price). As we are thinking of redoing it, my wife asked if there was anything extra fun-type things we can add. One thought was to add in a watering system to water some hanging flower baskets we put there in the warm weather (my wife is not tall enough to reach them to water them, and I always forget to water them). Anyone have any other ideas of things they wished they put in, or that they did put it? (Or things you put in that were a bad idea to do?) Its really just your standard front porch.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-21, 08:50 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
How about a few pictures of what you have now?

Old 03-03-21, 09:13 AM
O
Oh, whoops. Good idea. Here are two showing slightly different views. Hopefully that gives you the idea. I can take others later tonight when I have a chance, if that would help.

Thanks again!

Old 03-04-21, 07:44 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Old 03-04-21, 07:54 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
How about a couple of Skylights.

Old 03-04-21, 08:35 PM
O
Thanks for the ideas, all.

I do like that watering bottle - I may look into getting it so that my wife can do the watering of the baskets that she insists on buying every year!

As for the skylights - I like the idea, but I don't think it would quite work with the way the set-up is. The windows right above where the skylights would be are bedroom windows, and it just seems like an odd placement. Also, I think of skylights as ways to get natural light into an area - but the front porch is open and gets a lot of light as-is.

So, thanks again for the ideas - anyone have any others? Anyone know if radiant heat under Trex would work? Or do composites not really transmit/transfer heat all that well?

Thanks again!

Old 03-05-21, 07:11 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Radiant heat under the porch floor would not work very well especially through Trex. The underside would have to be closed and insulated. The heat would have to be on a long time before (or always) to heat the floor enough to be effective.

A better option would be a wall (or ceiling) mounted radiant heater like this. Smaller units are probably also available and without the swivel bracket. Would need a dedicated circuit and could be controlled by a switch, timer, or motion detector. (Although if you are sitting still the motion detector alone might not work.)

Old 03-05-21, 10:25 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Always have to think about lighting. Recessed lights are always a good solution, but if you want to add some color-selectable LED strips along the inside front edge you can add some mood lighting or holiday colors as needed.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: