Driveway paver thickness and size for longevity

Old 03-04-21, 03:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway paver thickness and size for longevity

Hello
I'm redoing my driveway. Going with pavers. My contractor recommended to go with atleast 3inch thickness. But looking at the brochures. Alot of the pavers are 2inch thick. Is this the trick to save money?
What about the size of the paver? One person at the paver store said to go with smaller blocks like 6inch by 6 inch, they are more durable . Does it even matter?
Anything else I should consider?

Old 03-04-21, 04:32 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
In my opinion or FWIW, if it's for a driveway that car is going to be driven on then go with the thicker bricks and smaller size. In my neighborhood several people have done pavers for driveways and all are the smaller brick size put into a pattern. But most important is the foundation must be near perfect. Make sure you have very good base and it goes down about 6" with plenty of crushed stone for drainage and the proper sand to set in the pavers.

Old 03-13-21, 06:27 PM
S
Clay brick driveway?

I was looking into redoing my driveway. Doing alot of research and looking into different options for something that will be long term. It seems like clay brick is something can be used for driveway and last a long time with little maintenances. The clay brick I am planning on using is 2 3/8inch. Only main flaw I saw is their isnt alot of color choice. But they seems to be stronger than concrete paver. What are some thoughts? I saw alot of concrete papver. They seems to be expensive and not like the color we want and seems like no matter what they will always fade even after sealing. Though clay brick wont do that.

Old 03-14-21, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 870 Votes on 800 Posts
Just saying "clay brick" doesn't tell us much. There are a several+ different types/categories of clay bricks. You need to look at the manufacturer's specs and recommendations to help determine if they are suitable for a driveway.

Old 03-14-21, 08:07 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 170 Posts
The main benefit of the concrete pavers are they are designed to interlock. It's unlikely for one or two blocks to shift. So as long as your base is sold, they'll remain in place. Bricks (or even brick-shaped concrete bricks) on the other hand don't interlock in the same way and tend to shift as time goes on.

I've always seen standard interlocking pavers used for driveways. I don't think a larger paver will help - the important piece is how the base is installed and compacted.

Old 03-15-21, 08:15 AM
S
I am planning on using Glen-Gery extruded paving brick are manufactured to conform to the ASTM International Standard Specification C 902, Class SX. This are Interlocking Clay Unit Pavers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: