Side yard with negative slope

Old 03-08-21, 04:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Side yard with negative slope

Hello,

New home owner here and I'm trying to tackle my side yard. As you can see there is a negative slope and water pools by the foundation during heavy rains. I put in some ABS drains which helped some.

I think I'm ready to just concrete the whole thing and be done with it. However the neighbors property is higher than mine. Is there any elegant solutions for this? Are there any structural concerns I have to consider?

Old 03-08-21, 05:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You need to get the water out of there. If there aren't any, gutters would help but you need to create some kind of system to remove the water you cannot keep out of the area.

Old 03-08-21, 05:18 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just added gutters and it has helped a lot. I also put in some drains, prior to the drains water would sit back there for for days. Now the water is gone after a few hours.

My plan is to concrete the whole thing with built in drains. I just don't know if there's any structural concerns with my neighbors exposed concrete walkway.

Old 03-08-21, 05:30 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Need more information.
You house is on the left? Correct? Where is the property line? down the middle of the alleyway? Does this alleyway go out to the street? Is there any storm sewers you can tie into? Will the town allow it? Is this current construction to code and allowed to be maintained as is?

How you might excavate it and pour concrete will depend on the questions above.

Old 03-09-21, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I had a similar situation in a previous home. I ended up excavating the area sloping the bottom of the dig away from the house. I installed perforated drainage pipe that could drain by gravity. Then I back filled the whole area with clean crushed stone back to the original grade.

On the surface the top of the stone still sloped towards the house. But any water quickly percolated through the stone and down to the soil sloping away from the house. I recently met the current owners and 25+ years later the system is still working well with no water issues in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: