Trying to see if I have time to restain my deck. And how.

Old 04-07-21, 11:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to see if I have time to restain my deck. And how.

Wonder if people can offer insights on me wanting to restain my deck.

We have a 30 year old deck made of redwood. last stained with semi solid latex stain in 2014. We didn't like seimi solid (had been semi transparent). Thought it would wear off. so we just ignored doing anything with the deck all this time.

Anyway, need to stain it for a party at end of may.

talking to pros, one talked of power wash then sand the whole deck (there is some raised grain from power washing / age). Seems weird - blowing off the sanding dust would be enough? he said power wash before sanding.

See attached sketch. not counting the railing / spindles, it's about 800 square feet for deck, steps and seats.

a) would you sand most all of the deck? raised grain areas?
b) What would you use for that?
c) would you power wash first or after sanding?
d) Any recommendation on how many job hours it would take me to power wash, (sand?), and 2 coats of latex stain? I've never done this before.
e) When I did a jungle gym years ago, I took a rag and wiped it on to get into nooks & crannies. Is that a valid way vs. rolling / brushing?
f) the picture of the seat... that board with the blue arrrow. I always liked this one - no grain on top. you can see it was cut different than the other pieces. Is that anything unusual? I'd love if the whole deck was like that?! no roughness!
g) We get leaves / seed pods between some of the spaces of the deck boards. sometimes its really tight to clean out. There's no trick to sand / make the gaps wider where it's really tight? Oscillating unit would bounce around too much? (use it to clean out / widen the tight gaps?

THANK YOU!

Old 04-07-21, 12:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It will take a lot to get that deck ready for a semi-transparent stain. I'd use a deck stripper and see how much of the stain it will remove. Basically you apply the stripper, let it set [but not dry] and then pressure wash. Other than handrails or wood that was pressure washed over aggressively I don't sand decks.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 04-07-21, 02:04 PM
B
My mistake! Not looking to use semi transparent at this point. I wasted space here rambling - we had been using it till 2014, then the guy we hired used semi solid and we didn't like it. Left it alone since then thinking the semi solid would wear off. Certainly not the case.

Resigned to redoing with a ( brown) semi / full solid stain.

And curious what peoples thoughts on Home Depots (behr) or Lowes (valspar) (semi?) solid compare to other brands. I have gift cards with them.

Old 04-07-21, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In that case I'd just clean the deck and apply your stain. I'm not all that familiar with the big box deck stains.

Old 04-07-21, 02:24 PM
B
THANKS!

Care to take a shot at these questions?

d) Any recommendation on how many job hours it would take me to power wash, (sand?), and 2 coats of latex stain? I've never done this before.
e) When I did a jungle gym years ago, I took a rag and wiped it on to get into nooks & crannies. Is that a valid way vs. rolling / brushing?
f) the picture of the seat... that board with the blue arrrow. I always liked this one - no grain on top. you can see it was cut different than the other pieces. Is that anything unusual? I'd love if the whole deck was like that?! no roughness!

As for g), I tried the oscillating tool with a scraper blade (no teeth). for a little bit. That seems to get into the tighter spaces much easier than me trying a manual paint scraper going in the space vertically. And I didn't mess up the top surface of the boards.

Old 04-08-21, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
d - Pressure washing a deck usually takes a couple of hours although it will vary dependent on various factors.
e - Brush/roller is the preferred application method, spraying is an option but still needs to be back brushed/rolled to work the stain into the wood. IMO wiping it on with a rag is not an option for exterior stain!
f - That has to do with how the log was cut into boards at the sawmill.
g - PWing should get rid of most of the debris between the boards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: