Building a deck over an existing patio

Old 06-21-01, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've got an existing patio, about 3 years old, and I'm wanting to build a deck over it. What is the best way of supporting the "wood" deck over the patio. The deck will be extended out into the yard about an additional 4' from where the existing patio sits.

Old 06-21-01, 09:35 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How far above the existing patio will you be putting the deck? If you have a couple of feet to play with, that's one thing. But if you are looking at only a couple of inches, that is a whole different ball game.

Old 06-22-01, 03:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Building a deck over an existing patio

A Couple of inches. I can only go up about 5 1/2". That's the bottom of my door. What I have planned on doing, was laying three 2x4's flat (not on it's side); one 2x4 on each side of the patio and one in the middle. I'm using these as the bottom supporting post. Then I'll cross lay 2x4's (flat) every 24" to 30", followed by my decking (2x6). So I figure that would put me at a heigth of 4 1/2" (roughly). Now I am extending my deck about 4' on two sides of my patio (two of the sides of the patio are up against the house). My main consern is bolting the 2x4's to the patio. I am located in Alabama, if climate makes a big difference.

Hope that helps a little!

Old 06-22-01, 08:43 PM
L
J, I understand where you are coming from wanting the wood deck. About the only thing more boring than a concrete slab patio is 2 of them. But laying the 2X4's on that slab will only lead to a whole lot of maintenance. Those 2X4's will draw moisture through the concrete, and they will rot. Doesn't matter if you use pressure treated, cedar, redwood, or whatever, THEY WILL ROT! Now you are replacing them every 5 or 6 years. Your idea of laying the 2X4's flat and laying joists over them will work. Out in the yard, bury a pier block under each of the bottom 2X4's to support them. Just plan on replacing 'most everything every 5 or 6 years. If it were me, I would look at taking out the existing slab and pouring some sort of decorative slab in it's place, and making that the size you want. Won't be a wood deck, but in 10 or 15 years, you'll have less time and money wrapped up in it.

Old 07-06-01, 08:33 AM
Visiting Guest
I have the same dillema. I was thinking to build the wood deck over the concrete but I am thinking to lay 4 X 4 and on a metal bracket 16" apart and then lay the 5/4 decking across.
Any expert input??

Old 07-06-01, 08:52 PM
L
See the above reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: