Deck prep

Old 05-01-21, 04:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck prep

I wanted to know up to how long I can go after pressure washing and stripping a deck before restaining /seal..
I have off an on rain over the next 2
weeks but it is in the sun..
Also is the roll on technique always a better application for stain ove spray on?
Thanks

Old 05-02-21, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
It's always best to work the stain into the wood with a brush or roller even when spraying it on.
How long to wait after washing depends on multiple factors. How tight/porous the wood is, how much sunlight the deck receives also wind will aid in drying the wood.

Old 05-02-21, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
You just need to go look and fell your deck to determine when it's dry enough to coat as wind, humidity and sun affects how quickly it dries.

You really can't say "always" whether roller or spraying is better. Each technique has it's strengths and weaknesses. I usually find myself doing both. Sometimes I'll use the sprayer to put the coating down and then follow with a roller to work it into the nooks & crannies.

Old 05-02-21, 04:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll use the sprayer to put the coating down and then follow with a roller to work it into the nooks & crannies.
IMO that is the most efficient way to apply the stain providing overspray won't be an issue. I like to spray, roll and spray again.
As for time, with the right drying conditions I've stained the next day but often you need to wait 2-3 days, longer if the weather is damp.

Old 05-02-21, 09:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.
I will do the roll on method.
Its pouring out as I type.Will it be ok to wait a week or two after the rain to stain,.? An as far as things like mold or additional light dirt should I still be ok as to the wood an adhesion ? It gets a lot of sun.

Old 05-03-21, 02:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally the wood will dry out quicker after rain than after pressure washing. It's doubtful any dirt/mold will accumulate over a few weeks. Obviously if mold does appear it needs to be washed off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: