Townhome Patio and drainage

Old 05-12-21, 04:58 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Townhome Patio and drainage w/ pics

We just moved into a new place a few months ago. The weather is starting to warm up so I have been doing some outside work to it. (We bought a middle unit townhome). It has a small back area and there was already a concrete patio there. This area is right at the bottom of a ~30degree slope. I noticed every time it rained that water was ending up running onto the patio. The other day I started investigating and right outside the gate there was a bunch of bricks (some of them buried under grass and mud). So I decided to dig them all out. I thought if I did that and dug a short ditch; diverging the water into a different direction then putting some holes in the ground the water would start seeping into the ground. Well that didn’t happen now I am left with a big hole that feels with standing water. Does anyone have any advice to help me get the water to drain somewhere.

⬇️⬇️Looking out patio door in our kitchen.⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️ The water is about 2 in deep ⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️ ⬇️You can see the slope good here⬇️⬇️⬇️

Thank you. ....

Last edited by Libbyzane; 05-12-21 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 05-12-21, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Hard to advise with no photos when we can't see the lay of the land.

Old 05-12-21, 06:01 AM
L
I was working on it. If you need others let me no.

Old 05-12-21, 06:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
"... advice to help me get the water to drain somewhere."
Gravity. It sounds silly, but it is that simple. You need to install piping, dig a ditch or something that slopes slightly downhill.

Holes in the ground can help a little by providing more surface area for water to soak into the ground. But if the water can't absorb water fast enough they will just fill up. It's the idea behind French drains. They provide more area for the water to absorb into the ground. Even French drains though are suseptible to filling up or stop working once the ground is saturated. Draining water by gravity on the surface is the most reliable way to make water go somewhere else.

Old 05-12-21, 06:55 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This area is right at the bottom of a ~30degree slope.
If you are the low spot it's going to be difficult to move the water, it all flows down hill!

Do you have a HOA? If so, Id get them involved to help since the "commons" area is contributing to the issue!

Old 05-12-21, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Now that you have the photos working I've gotta say I love the laundry basket full of dirt. Luckily you don't have anywhere near a 30° slope which makes things much easier. Still, you probably will have to get your HOA involved as the area behind the building may have to be regraded to get the water flowing away from your patio.

Old 05-12-21, 12:57 PM
L
Thanks!!

Ok so let me say this...this honestly makes me feel better bc I have boggled my head for days and the only solution I could come to was I was gonna have to contact the HOA bc anything that I could do to help the issue was going to run straight through the common yard. Thanks for all the help.

The drain system sounds promising but that’s where I’m gonna need help from the HOA. Maybe they would contact someone to come in and do it or at least help buy the materials.

Old 05-12-21, 01:04 PM
L
I've gotta say I love the laundry basket full of dirt.

“I've gotta say I love the laundry basket full of dirt.”

HaHa....thanks 🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s all I had to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: