Stain deck twice ?

Old 06-10-21, 02:01 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stain deck twice ?

The deck on my new house is approx 2 yrs old and has never been stained or sealed. It is PT (yellow pine i believe)

The previous owner spilled what i believe is grill grease in a spot and adter trying everything (dawn soap, belt sander etc) I ended up plunge cutting a couple boards and flipping them.

I see you can get stains in grey, like "classic grey" and "sunbleached" which would make my flipped pieces look more like the rest of the deck.

I want to go ahead and stain the flipped pieces with a grey, and then after that go over the entire deck with the Valspar stain/sealer that i already bought.

Is this a good idea or is there any reason why i shouldnt do this?

Old 06-10-21, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
If you stain those boards to match the rest the odds are it won't stain the same as the other boards when you stain it all. Those boards will be sealed and will soak up the stain differently than the rest.
What type of stain did you buy? toner/translucent, semi-transparent or solid? what color?

Old 06-10-21, 04:00 AM
R
I bought semi transparent valspar stain and sealer in one. I forget the shade but it is fairly light, off the shelf, not a custom mix

the deck is a little bit on the gray side as the wood is starting to age

the boards i flipped still look new

i know it wont match perfect but wanted to get it a little closer by "pre staining" the flipped boards with a light grey. Then go over everything with the valspar.

i was worried the two different stains might negatively react with eachother or something to that effect. Thoughts?

Old 06-10-21, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Some stains have a specific recoat window so you need to check the label. Other than that if the base is the same; oil and oil, latex and latex there shouldn't be any negative reactions. I'd apply 2 coats of your semi-transparent stain and call it good enough. It will show if you look closely but it shouldn't jump out at you.

Old 06-10-21, 06:01 AM
R
Marksr are you saying to just use the valspar only and do the whole thing ?

Old 06-10-21, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what I would do, often a 2nd coat helps to even out the color when there are differences in the wood.

Old 06-10-21, 04:30 PM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
I want to go ahead and stain the flipped pieces with a grey, and then after that go over the entire deck with the Valspar stain/sealer that i already bought.
And that is a great option but it's not going to be a perfect match. Your attempting to modify a new (un-weathered surface) to a weathered surface so just be prepared for something that will look different for a few years!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: