screening in an existing deck.

Old 06-29-01, 09:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have and existing deck that I would like to screen in on 3 sides as inexpensively as possible. I plan on doing the work myself, but I'm not sure where to start.I am not looking to do anything elaborate. Just a simple screening would be very nice. Here are some of the dimensions on my deck.

The deck measures 8' x 19'6" x 8'. It is already covered. It comes out 8' from the house, 19'6" wide and 8' back to the house. If you measure 8' from the house you will hit the first corner of the deck. There is a 4x4 here for support. The next 4x4 is 62 1/4" from this same corner, then another 62 1/4" to the next 4x4. Allow 36" for the steps to the next 4x4, then it is 88 1/8" to the final 4x4 on the other corner. Then another 8' back to the house. These measurements are taken from inside to inside of the 4x4's. There are no 4x4's adjacent to the house.

There is a handrail 45" from the deck floor. There are vertical split 2x4's every 8-10" between the deck floor and the handrail. It is then another 45" from the top of handrail to the beam at the eaves. This area is all open.

I know this is probabally going to be alot of work. Since money is the deciding factor in all of this, I would like to start out on the right track instead of messing it up and then being out the money and still no screened in porch. If you could help me with this or guide me to someone who can, I would appreciate it immensely.

Old 06-29-01, 09:47 AM
Visiting Guest
I used a product called Screen Tight when I re-screened my porch. website is http://www.ScreenTight.com/

Very simple to install and looks great.

The only thing you would need to do before installing the screen is frame out a door opening so you can install a screen door at the stairs.

Question regarding what you call the split 2X4's between the handrail and the floor, spaced every 8-10 inches. How high off the ground is your deck? Balusters in a hand railing should not be spaced that far apart. In my area, Georgia, the balusters should be spaced so a 4" ball can not fit through. Just F.Y.I. - you don't want any kids falling off your deck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: