Are joist ends trimmed?

Old 06-29-01, 10:09 AM
pjb
Visiting Guest
Should I plan on trimming the joist ends? For example, for a 16 foot wide deck can 16 foot joists be used as deleiverd(actually making the total 16' 3" when counting the width of the ledger and the end band), or do you trim the joist ends to assure uniform length and square ends?

Old 06-30-01, 08:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not sure if this is what you are asking but you should square the ends ,both ends and then you can count on the measure to be right

Old 06-30-01, 09:32 PM
Visiting Guest
if your using joist hangers, you shouldn't have to square of the ends. i manage a lumber yard and in all my years i've yet to see any board so out of square that it needs trimming.

Old 06-30-01, 10:43 PM
ronnie,not tryin to argue or nothin but if you used the lumber instead of selling it you would see alot of boards that are so far out of square they need trimming.take a speed square out in your yard and check for square on some just for fun

Old 07-02-01, 06:45 PM
PJB: Yes, it is usually necessary to trim the ends of the joists. The reason is that when cut for 16', many are anywhere from 1/2" to 1" longer. We usually trim then put on the end cap or joist cap.

Old 07-03-01, 05:51 AM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Just a helpful hint. Don't measure three inches from the end of the joist. Measure from the house, out. A stupid mistake I made!!!

Old 07-03-01, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
mrmojo, i understand where your coming from, but i have used the lumber i sell and i have never had a problem, nor have i ever heard any of my contractors say that most of the lumber they get is out of square.but then again for peace of mind trimming would not be a bad idea.

Old 07-04-01, 04:46 AM
Ronnie:
Just for your piece of mind, I probably use more lumber then most since I build. It has been my experience that not many pieces of lumber have been out of square, but alot of lumber is extra long. But only like an inch or two. Not a problem.

Old 07-05-01, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
jack, that i understand, and completely agree with, but my point of contention was that most boards are out of square. most boards that i sell are P.E.T. (precision end trimmed) and are rarely out of square, maybe i took it a little too personally what mrmojo had to say. perhaps mrmojo should consider changing lumber suppliers if the current lumber he buys is that bad.

Old 07-06-01, 03:13 AM
ok,the reason we trim square whatever one end is to get an accurate measurement at the other end.studs dont really matter but for decks stairs facia etc a precise measurement is needed.

Old 07-09-01, 10:29 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
whoever is buiding this 16 foot deck-- i highly recommend you change your dimensions so that it is 6 inches smaller than standard dimensional lumber. IE make your deck 15'6"
this allows for waste to be cut off

Do this in both width and length -unless ur set on 16 for some reason

HOpe this helps----josh

Old 07-09-01, 07:00 PM
Visiting Guest
If it is a 16' deck the joists wiil be cut off anyways to fit.

Probably at least 3"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: