old deck boards going out...new ones going in

Old 07-15-22, 11:39 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question old deck boards going out...new ones going in

Our 25 year old 5/4x4 nailed in deck boards are going to be replaced with 5/4x6 screwed in boards. 1. I sealed the bottom of the old deck boards prior to nailing them in. Is this a good or bad idea for the new boards? 2. Pilot holes. 2 yeas ago my husband built 2 fences in our yard. He found that pilot holes were the only way to make things easier. I have now been reading about clearance holes for the deck boards. I think the idea makes sense however my husband isn't sold on the idea. Are clearance holes a good idea or bad? 3. Drill and bits. We have a basic Hitachi drill. I have read, again, that an impact drill is better and saves your hands and wrists from tiring out too soon. Agree or disagree? And finally bits. We want to use quality bits. Any recommendations? Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

Old 07-16-22, 01:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
The drive bits you use are determined by the type of screw you choose.
Some are a hex/square drive or possibly a type of Philips head that Deckmate screws use.

Coating the bottom of the deck board sounds like a good idea.
I've never pre-drilled holes when I've helped install decks.

Old 07-16-22, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I generally don't seal the bottom of a deck unless it's visible. My thinking is when the stain above fails it could trap moisture in the board. I've also never predrilled the holes on decking.

Old 07-18-22, 07:13 AM
W
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Pilot holes helps prevent checking.

Old 07-18-22, 10:45 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
There is no need to space them out, once they dry out there will be spaces.
Coating both sides will help to lessen the checking because it allows even drying .
An impact driver will make this job easier and faster.
When buying the bit, look on the label for impact rated.
I've never predrilled.

Old 07-18-22, 11:00 AM
C
Received 267 Likes on 219 Posts
Invest in a good quality impact driver and star bits. Two batteries are better than one if the budget allows. I don't like phillips because there are too many spin outs with an impact driver. I don't pre drill because the deck screws I have used are self starting.

Old 07-18-22, 11:13 AM
B
Received 225 Likes on 199 Posts
When you use a screw to compress two boards together, compression is difficult if the screw cuts threads in the first board it enters. Best to have the correct size clearance hole in the first board. If the new boards are made from a composite, follow manufactures recommended spacing in both directions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: