Questions about ledger board for stairs, slab foundation

Old 07-19-22, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Questions about ledger board for stairs, slab foundation

I recently had to demo my deck because it was very rotted. I want to replace it with simple wood stairs.

I've read a bit about how to attach a new ledger board, but have questions. First I have a slab foundation so there is no getting behind this area. I've read that I shouldn't just nail a ledger board, however that seems to be how it was attached previously. FWIW it seemed structurally fine, just rotted, the deck was otherwise stable (a small deck though).

There's a good 2-3 feet of brick veneer in this area. What would be behind this brick? At some point the slab must be there, but I don't think I have 2-3 feet of concrete slab. would it just be dirt behind those bottom bricks?

Now I want to attach a new ledger board to attach wood stairs to. How should I go about this?

See the original ledger board just below the door. I imagine this must overlap with the slab, but not 100%, and the boards extending to the ground seem too low to be in front of a slab.

Closer to the front of the house where the elevation is higher.

After all the boards have been removed.

Closer up of where the original ledger board was attached. Best I can tell it was just nailed into bricks.

Old 07-19-22, 02:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Code does not allow simple steps immediately outside a exterior door. A landing is required for safety. In most cases it must be at least 36" deep in the direction of travel as you walk through the door. But, check your local codes as some areas have a 44" minimum. This means you're not building steps... your building a tiny deck and all of it's code requirements.

Attaching a ledger to brick veneer probably isn't going to be permitted. You probably need to build this freestanding which means footers and posts but talk to your local building inspections department for what they will want to see. One important issue will be how deep they want you to go with the footers. Since this is right next to the house they may require you to go until you hit virgin soil which is about as deep as the house's footers. You could get lucky and they only want you to go below frost depth.

Old 07-20-22, 12:15 PM
So I guess for the original work, the ledger board being nailed to the brick was not the primary support, but rather the posts closest to the house. Those posts are in concrete (I've just cut them off for now), and the board was resting on top of them, in addition to being nailed into brick. Does that make sense? I'm just trying to understand the old work relative to what I need to do now.

Old 07-20-22, 01:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Your old structure may have been belt and suspenders. Supported from both the posts in the ground and the members nailed to the brick.

A lot of things were acceptable long ago but are no longer permitted. Your steps lasting so long shows that unapproved methods can work. But, especially with decks where there have been numerous collapses that have killed and injured people the codes take deck support and attachment to a house VERY seriously now. And, they don't differentiate between a large deck two stories off the ground and a simple landing two feet off the ground.

Old 07-20-22, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Those three boards below the ledger where there to prevent the ledger nails from shearing off
by supporting/distributing most of the weight.
I'd say the ledger was supporting the old deck.

It looks like you already had a mini deck there.
Hard to comment on the posts in the ground as they aren't seen.

Old 07-21-22, 12:47 PM
I read trying to read and verify what my real requirements are, and I found this: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/NC...03_SecR311.3.2

If I understand this correctly, I should be able to build just stairs with no landing, because the door in question is not the "required egress door" (it's the back door, accessible from the kitchen), and the door doesn't swing out over the stairs (it's a sliding door). Do you agree with this interpretation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: