Rotten Porch

Old 07-21-22, 05:26 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotten Porch

I bought a small cabin in East Texas. It needs quite a bit of work but i'm fairly handy and able. It has a covered front porch that is tied to the roof but has a smaller slope. The shingles began leaking at some point and the decking is rotted and needs to be replaced. I'm going to replace the roof as well so when i remove all the shingle i'll tackle this job. My question is, what is the proper way to tie on and transition a covered porch to an existing roof?

Old 07-21-22, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A picture or two of what you are working with would be helpful.... How to insert pictures.

Depending on the pitch of the porch.... it may be too shallow to use shingles on.
You're replacing the entire roof ?

Old 07-22-22, 08:58 AM
F
I'm not on site at the moment. I'll see if i can dig up some pictures of what i'm referring to.

thanks

Old 07-22-22, 11:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
You'll have to be understanding with us. We haven't seen what you've got and you basically asked "how do I build a porch". We can help you with specific questions but I don't think any of us want to write detailed instructions for you since there are already many books & videos on the topic.

Old 07-23-22, 07:53 AM
F
Unfortunately, this is the only picture i have at the moment. You can see the porch is in pretty bad shape. I'll be back out there in a week or so and i'll get some better pictures.

Old 07-23-22, 10:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
It looks like the main roof has a pitch of about 4:12 which is shallowest I personally like to do shingles. It looks like your porch is probably about 2:12 which might technically be steep enough to allow shingles but I think that's pushing it.

After rebuilding the porch I would consider covering the whole porch roof in ice & water shield and extend the ice & water up several feet onto the house roof. Then cover with singles in the normal manner. Getting the ice & water up a few feet under the house shingles is to provide extra protection for the transition between roof pitches. That's an area where leaves and debris tends to accumulate which traps and holds moisture and can sometimes cause water to back up underneath the shingles. That's where ice & water shield goes to work by providing another waterproof barrier.

You could also use rolled roofing on the porch roof. Unfortunately most rolled is about the lowest quality you can find so it's worthwhile to special order a better quality if you can. The porch roof could also be covered in a membrane like is done with flat roofs though that's not a good beginner DIY roofing project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: