Reinforcing porch for 3 person porch swing

Old 07-28-22, 08:08 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reinforcing porch for 3 person porch swing

I recently purchased a 5ft porch swing with max load of 500 lbs that Iíd like to install on my front porch. The porch has wooden bead board for the ceiling. Iíd prefer to try and work without removing the ceiling if possible. I can access the porch ceiling from above through some access points on the second floor.

the porch ceiling has stick construction with 2x6 joists that are 16Ē on center. The joists run perpendicular to the house. I would like to hang the swing parallel to the joist.

Based on similar threads, I understand reinforcing is necessary. What Iím not sure of is if I can block with 4x4s between two 2x6 joists and drill through the 4x4s and through the bead board ceiling to attach an eye bolt to hang the swing?

mathematically it seems two joists blocked together should meet the weight specification?

Old 07-29-22, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I have a swing on my front porch with a beadboard ceiling. What I did was double up the 2x4 ceiling joist and then fashion U-bolts with a bracket on the ceiling side that the swing hangs from. That was about 20 yrs ago and it's held up fine.

Old 07-29-22, 06:30 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
can block with 4x4s between two 2x6 joists and drill through the 4x4s and through the bead board ceiling to attach an eye bolt to hang the swing?
As noted a pair of 2x6 spanning the current joists would be much stronger than 4x4, posts are for vertical support.

Do not use a threaded eye bolt that would be the weakest link if the wood striped away. A threaded eye bolt that goes all the way to the top with bolts and washers would never let loose!

Old 07-29-22, 09:04 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like blocking between two joists is sufficient? Didnít know if I should block to more joists to increase strength.

Old 07-29-22, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I wouldn't 100% trust a 2x between the joists as that relies on the nails/screws that hold that 2x in place. Attaching a 2x over the joists would be ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: