New top for patio table

Old 08-16-22, 10:09 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New top for patio table

I have a patio table whose top is plastic fake weaved wicker. The table top diameter is 44" with a hole in the middle for an umbrella.

The problem is that the faux wicker is not tight so it sags beneath a glass of water or beer or whatever, threatening a spill.

I am thinking of painting across the top (except the umbrella hole) with something like epoxy glue to give it a hard top. Does that make sense? If so, is epoxy the correct product to use? And should I paint a single layer of epoxy, let it dry, paint a second layer, etc.? The idea is to create a stiff top. (A shop estimated a new glass or plastic top at $400.) Or buy a new table?

Old 08-16-22, 10:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I can't believe your table didn't come with a glass top. Woven material like that will never provide a firm surface for a wine glass. Even when new and tight it's going to bounce like a drum.

I would buy a new table.

Epoxy will look like... you painted epoxy over something that shouldn't be painted over. It will tighten the surface a bit but it won't add structural strength or make the top less "bouncy", and it will likely crack. Also, epoxy yellows in the sun so it probably won't look good long term.

Looking online a piece of glass is about $250 without shipping. Depending on where you live you might find a retailer that has one. Check with furniture stores as they often have pieces laying around. You can also keep an eye on the curb as you drive around town. I've found many glass table tops free for the taking on garbage day.

Old 08-16-22, 12:01 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife, bless her heart, came up with a solution. Turns out, we had another, similar table with a glass top and an umbrella hole! It's been waiting (years) for a trip to the dump. The legs on that one had rusted out, but the top is fine. And with a little bit of wiggling, it fits.

Thank you Pilot Dane for being here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: