Deck to Vinyl Siding - Flashing advice needed

Old 08-20-22, 01:54 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Deck to Vinyl Siding - Flashing advice needed

I uncovered a problem, and I think I'll see the same problem (or worse) on the opposite side of the deck. Deck is 16x16 and attached to ledgers on both the garage (where the butt ends are) and the house (one long deck board runs). The ledger is flashed, but the flashing doesn't go over the face board (not sure what that's called). There is no kick out or anything to keep the water from going under the vinyl siding. The water sheeting down the siding has to either drip between the deck boards or run the length and out the end... where there's no clear way out. I'm at a loss on how to properly get the water away from the house. A handyman suggested I take the bottom course of vinyl off, trim it, and install J-channel on top of the decking. I'm unsure how this solves the problem of getting that water away from the walls. I saw a suggestion to drill weep holes in the J-channel so that it can drain, but then the water will be doing exactly what it's doing now - going between the deck boards. 16' is a lot of runoff. I'm not opposed to changing how the siding is in these areas, I'm just unsure how to accomplish what I need to in order to protect the building. I took pictures of two separate areas of the deck - it appears that the metal ledger flashing is only as long as the ledger boards, and stops short of the corner on both ends (smh). When I extend the flashing, how do I deal with the siding? Is there some type of kickout I can use? Is there a j-channel configuration that will get the water from that channel out and away?

I've been working under the deck this summer, fixing some other problems, and the ledger boards are in good shape. I will repair the walls and cover the area with house wrap. How do I flash it properly? I think I can find j-channel that will match fairly well if that's what is needed. I'm hoping to not have to take the deck apart.

Left side (garage). Siding is cut and sitting between the butt ends of the boards and the metal flashing. This has been working ok - except there is no safe way for any water to get off the edge and out of the channel -- so there is damage. How do I bridge between the deck and the siding to keep water away from the wall?

Left side (garage) under the flap of siding. There's no flashing along the 2x10. Ledger flashing doesn't go over the top of this face board. Water has been eroding the area under the vinyl.

Left side (garage). Siding has stayed pinched between the flashing and the deck boards without issue (I removed the corner post here), but water can't out past the 90* cut of the siding and is getting to the wall. The ledger flashing appears to stop short of the edge of the deck (not going over this face board) I will remove this deck board and extend and seal the flashing. But how do I get the water to clear the siding? Is there some kind of kickout available?

--other end:

Right side (house). There is a vertical vinyl trim piece here, but there is nothing leading into it. The ledger flashing stops, there's a gap, and then this trim piece.

Right side (house) - visible gap between the ledger flashing and the vinyl trim.

Right side (house) top view. Very little water can get out of this channel without going 16' to the end, where it's not getting away from the house

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it. I love this deck, but I need to make this right. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-20-22, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Water gets behind vinyl siding, which is perfectly normal. By code, you need a WRB behind the siding, and THAT is what protects the framing.

So without knowing what's behind the siding it's hard to give any advice about what- if anything- needs to be done differently. My guess is that it's fine and you're worried about nothing.

Old 08-20-22, 02:49 PM
L
The wall is rotting behind it. The flashing dead ends behind the siding. I'm sorry if something is unclear. Water is being trapped behind the siding.

Old 08-20-22, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Let me see if I can rephrase this. Vinyl siding needs a WRB that is not going to degrade when it gets wet. Because is IS going to get wet. You may not know it, but the same thing is going to be happening below any window that gets wet when it rains. So your felt paper is your biggest problem. I'd recommend you unzip some siding below a window just to check for damage. If you don't have a Malco Sideswiper, get one.

Today's #15 felt paper is not durable enough to be used under vinyl siding. Most woven housewraps are not either. (This is experience talking... not building code. Because the building code allows people to use the cheapest WRB there is, as long as you use something.) In my experience, you need a quality housewrap such as Tyvek or Typar that is going to last as long as the siding. And in areas that see a lot of water, like at the end of the deck, (its called a rim joist) you need a flashing membrane, like Grace Vyvor. And that should be applied BEFORE the ledger and rim joist is ever installed. Trying to do it properly now is next to impossible.

If I was doing it, I would remove some siding, and the rim joist. Cut away any damaged felt paper. Replace it with Grace Vycor (or similar). Where the Vycor meets the ledger, caulk that with a liquid flashing like Huber Zip System Liquid Flash. Then reassemble, assuming your ledger flashing is fine. The rim does not need to be covered with flashing. If you WERE going to cover the rim with flashing, you'd use a wide 4x4 L flashing, not a z-flashing, and bend it down ver the rim on the edges of the deck. (You'd need to remove decking to do this.)

Personally I would not terminate the vinyl like they did, but there is nothing wrong with it.

And to be clear, water is not "trapped" behind vinyl siding. The way vinyl siding works is that any water that gets behind the siding is supposed to harmlessly run behind the siding until it either runs out the weep holes in the siding or drips out the bottom course of siding. Sorry if that is news to you, but that is how it works, and why vinyl requires a quality WRB that isn't going to degrade.

The flashing dead ends behind the siding
Look at the top of any window. Same situation, and perfectly normal.

Old 08-20-22, 04:06 PM
L
Thank you for the explanation. Then maybe it's not as bad on the house side, because that's vinyl down to the ground. The garage side actually had T1-11 underneath that piece of vinyl I flipped up, so anything that got behind the vinyl was dead ended by a z-flashing on top of the t1-11. The house portion doesn't have any barrier on it except taped foil-faced insulation behind the siding. I'm hoping I can make it right without disassembling the entire thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: