Pressure Wash, Again?

Old 09-07-22, 09:49 AM
W
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pressure Wash, Again?

I pressure washed my deck about 8-10 weeks ago. After it was all clean, I realized I needed to make some repairs. I have slowly made the necessary repairs and now ready to prime and paint the deck. Should I pressure was the deck again? It doesn't look bad, but it's not as clean as it was immediately after I finished pressure washing a few weeks ago. I'm leaning towards cleaning it again as that will give me the best surface to receive primer and paint.

Old 09-07-22, 10:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
How dry was the wood you used? Your new wood, I assume pressure treated, may need more time to dry before painting but at 2+ months you should be getting close.

Old 09-07-22, 10:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I would suggest using a deck stain rather than primer and paint. While stain will wear away, paint will peel and make the next go around more work.

Hard to say without seeing if it needs to be cleaned again ..... but it doesn't hurt.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-07-22, 01:37 PM
W
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't use any new decking planks for the repairs. I replaced some old screws, cleaned out and patched some rotted areas with a filler product.

I'm not sure "paint" is the proper word to describe what I'm going to use. It's a VERY thick product with granules.
Safe-T-DeckŪ Waterproof Deck Coating | AMES Research Laboratories

My deck is 20+ years old. If I can make it last another 10+ I'm good to go.

I think I'll pressure wash it again. I've put in too much work and money not to have the surface as best as it can be.

Old 09-07-22, 01:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
That appears to be one of those 'restore' type finishes. Says it gets 100 sq ft per gallon. I'm fundamentally opposed to them. Because of how thick it is once it starts to fail you'll have a real mess trying to get the deck looking nice again.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: