trex for stairs?

Old 09-19-22, 07:00 AM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trex for stairs?

I've been using plenty of Azek for my exterior restoration and now need to rebuild an exterior staircase. I don't know much about Trex -- do they make stair treads and are they any good?

Old 09-19-22, 10:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
You can contact your local supplier or their website to see what Trex offers. I don't know of anyone that offers composite "stair treads". While common in wood, all the steps I have seen in composite have been made from deck boards or other available profiles.

Old 09-19-22, 12:01 PM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Like Pilot Dane, all the deck stairs I've seen have been built up using deck boards, which works fine. Just keep in mind that a stair built with composite deck board treads usually requires more support (more stringers) than PT wood treads because the composite material isn't as stiff.

Old 09-20-22, 05:31 AM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great thx folks. it's actually not stairs for a deck, it's a traditional porch. I'm just tearing out what I build about 15 years ago cause it all rotted out. I used what I think were southern yellow pine (?) 1X12 treads with a bullnose and was hoping to replace with synthetic. I guess with deck boards I'd have to use several to make up the tread width?

Old 09-20-22, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Yes. And your choice is, if you want nosing you have to get solid edge planks. The other option is grooved planks. If you get grooved planks, the exposed groove side must be covered by the riser (with fascia). So no nosing with grooved planks.

Old 09-20-22, 07:57 AM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
To X's point...use solid edge planks if you can because covering up the edge with fascia material creates a space where "stuff" accumulates. I did my two step stair to my deck that way and I'm always pulling little plants and stuff that grow in the "stuff".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: