Seeking advice on side of house landscaping - with images

Old 11-12-22, 02:06 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seeking advice on side of house landscaping - with images

Hi all, so we pulled out a rotten deck on the side of our house and realized the ground below it had a very poor slope. I've finally got the water moving away from the house and then to the back yard into the grass (downhill), but now I want to finish the project before winter.

Below is an image of my overall plan, but I've never really worked with clay. Should there by a layer of something between the clay, landscape barrier and river rock?

What I am unsure of is whether the stones will just slowly silt up and sink into the clay - do I need a soil layer between the clay and cloth?

Orange=Slab path, green=side garden, grey=1-3" river rock

The pic above shows the current state; right now the water flows down into the red drainage ditch will also act as a barrier to the side garden.

Old 11-12-22, 02:10 PM
D

This is similar to what we had in mind - rock layer with slabs on top, and a garden against the fence.

I was going to just do a french drain instead of a ditch, but the clay run off will have it clogged constantly I think so I'm going to leave it open so I can clear it easily by hand when required.

Old 11-12-22, 02:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
If you're not planting anything in the rock, you could use landscape fabric or plastic under the rock (I would use plastic to divert more water into the drain). Regardless, you don't want dirt on top of the fabric, as your rock would sink into that.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-12-22, 02:40 PM
D
Thanks stickshift

So the layers would look like this:

River rock
Fabric/Plastic
Clay

Last edited by Dbl_dbl; 11-12-22 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 06:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Yep, that's the way I've always done it - the fabric layer is what keeps the rock and the dirt apart.

Old 11-13-22, 04:24 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
Is that downspout connected to an underground pipe? That downspout(s) is where the vast majority of water will come from, if it is a big ditch shouldn't be needed, just some slope away from house and towards the front/back. Fabric allows water to pass, plastic does not!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: