trex screws -- how far apart?

Old 11-14-22, 07:28 AM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trex screws -- how far apart?

so I'm wrapping up my new porch stairs and they're turning put great. I'm using trex for the treads, doing a mitered return on the outside edge. my question is, how far apart should I place the screws? I'm using the kit with color matched plugs. thx as always. jp

Old 11-14-22, 07:34 AM
G
PS my stringers are 15" apart so will follow that but the outer board lies on a 2X frame so I can go closer -- 6"? 8"?

Old 11-14-22, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Every 16" is sufficient.

Old 11-14-22, 04:23 PM
G
thanks again -- a different but related question. I'm using the trex kit with coated screws and matching plugs, and you're supposed to just drive them with no pre-drilling and the bit has a stop that sinks it the required depth. I'm trying to drive thru the solid trex that's used for edges but I'm using for stair treads. they will not drive thru the trex. they go about flush and then spin. in other words they are not pulling in to the 2X framing below and sinking in the trex. as if it's too dense. Am I doing something wrong? solid gun with fresh battery that I use all the time to drive and sink screws so I dont think its a power thing. are these screws not meant to be used on the solid trex? it seems too dense and thick... thx!

Old 11-14-22, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
If you are talking about the fascia that is about 1/2" thick, yes, it's pretty dense, compared to the decking. It won't hurt anything to predrill a hole and see if it helps.

Hope you aren't really using it for treads.

If you are talking about screwing down the 1" thick solid decking, you probably need longer screws. They should usually be 2 3/4"

Old 11-15-22, 05:22 AM
G
sorry my bad not using their facia material -- using the solid boards used for the perimeter. this is my first experience with trex so bear with me learning as I go but with much help here! so its the 1" solid board. the screws are 2-3/4". and best I can tell from reading around, you're supposed to be able to use these without pre-drilling, but they're almost impossible to start, really hard to drive thru the trex, and just spin once the screw hits the 2X. and flush with the top despite the special bit that is supposed to counter-sink for the plug. it sounds like I'm just going to have to pre-drill all the holes? I'm just concerned that I'm doing something wrong since everything I read says no pre-drilling required. thx again.

Old 11-15-22, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Is your drill turning clockwise, cuz it sounds like you have it in reverse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: