water between deck and house

Old 07-12-01, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We have rainwater getting into the space between our deck and the house, then running between the house and the siding below the deck, and thence into the house above a window and a sliding-glass door (argh!!).

When we bought the house, there was siding between the deck and the house. We had the siding replaced several months ago, and now there's flashing around the deck, and no siding between the deck and the house. The flashing on the top side of the deck is not caulked.

Apparently, the rain is running horizontally along the boards of the deck toward the house and under the flashing, then vertically between the deck and the house, then vertically between the siding and the house, below the deck. It enters along the top edge of a window and a sliding-glass door, below the deck, in our (thankfully) unfinished basement.

Did the contractor who replaced the siding do something wrong? I can't see how they could have caulked the flashing above the deck, given the uneven surface of the deck. How should this have been done, and what can I do now to solve the water problem??

Thank you!

Scott in VA

Old 07-13-01, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I have the picture from your description. There is fault on both sides, yours and the contractors. In order to put new siding behind the deck, would have required removing some of your deck. Extra cost. Sometimes alot. usually not included in a siding estimate. Yes there should be siding replace where the old was removed. Also flashing should have been installed under the siding just above the deck, and then down over the outside of the siding behind the deck. COntractors fault. but this is the only way to keep the water off the walls. Also make sure that the window is sealed properly under the deck and caulked properly. (Your basement window)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: