Deck options?

Old 04-14-24, 09:49 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck options?

I had a 16x20 deck built two years ago. This deck was constructed out of AC2 lumber. The deck posts were originally notched and fastened to the outside of the rim joists. Last year, I replaced all the posts and moved them to the inside of the rim joists. This has obviously served its purpose with much more strength and the piece of mind with children. I will be staining this summer. I have two questions. There is obviously major discoloring from where the posts sat on the outside of the rim joists, my guess is stain won't make this all look uniform? Brings me to my second question, I'd ideally like to cover my joists/deck boards with some sort of facing. I'd like to do the same on my stairs. What are my options for material? Just a 1x treated? Joist to top of boards is 10 1/4" and stringer to point of stair is 12 1/4".

Old 04-14-24, 09:51 PM
E
Or maybe more of a simpler question, am I able to just use a 1x12 pine board for my fascia? I'll be staining it.

Old 04-15-24, 01:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
Hard to say about the stain difference without seeing what you have, could you post a pic or two?

I wouldn't want to use any pine that isn't pressure treated if it's exposed to the elements.

Old 04-15-24, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,227 Upvotes on 1,987 Posts
"...I able to just use a 1x12 pine board..."
Remember this will be outside exposed to the weather. You may want to use PVC or a synthetic decking material instead. Many of the synthetic decking companies offer trim materials.

Old 04-15-24, 05:56 AM
E
I'll post a few pics later. I'm aware that it'll be outside, I just figured the stain/sealer will take care of the fascia board. I've kind of explored the PVC/Synthetic option, just wasn't sure how that'd look with everything else being PT + going along with the stain color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: