adding grip to a wood outdoor ramp

Old 05-14-24, 03:23 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
adding grip to a wood outdoor ramp

I built this ramp 15+ years ago and it's worked great to walk on and for my lawn tractor to get in / out of the shed.... except when it rains / the ramp gets slippery and I can slide off it when walking into the shed (and even the tractor can slip if I don't get a running start : )

Any recommendations on what to do INEXPENSIVELY to make it less / not slippery.

I tried at one point stapling some aluminim screen material on it. That worked, till the screen material tore off.

I thought about clean / sand it, pour gorilla glue on it and then throw sand on it?

Or some sort of paint / epoxy and sand on it?

There's paper / cloth strips with grit that people put on stair cases. But getting them to stick to the weathered wood is the weak point.

THANKS!

Old 05-14-24, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
You could use Varathane or clear poly with sand mixed in.
You could also apply a finishing agent.... paint.... poly... etc. and sprinkle the sand on while wet.

The home improvement and paint stores carry the anti-slip aggregate additive

Old 05-14-24, 04:17 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thoughts on roof shingles? I have some from when I reroofed the shed 5? years ago.... but maybe I'll check roofing supplier for scrap ones so I keep the shed roof color for when they are needed. And I still have loads of nails from the reroofing that aren't doing anything : )

Old 05-14-24, 05:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,227 Upvotes on 1,987 Posts
Asphalt shingles or rolled roofing work well. They use them a lot in the northwest & Alaska on stairs and wooden walkways.

Old 05-15-24, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
The problem with adding grit to a coating is it tends to be short term in high traffic areas - it will wear away where the tire tracks are. I've had good luck using those adhesive grip strips along with a spray adhesive to insure they stick better.

Old 05-15-24, 06:07 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Would attaching some strapping help? Possibly ripping down some pressure treated 2 by4's to 1/2" thick strips. I would space them about 3 or 4 inches apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: