Post install for Gazebo to support Porch Swing

Old 06-10-24, 10:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post install for Gazebo to support Porch Swing

I'm working on the planning of a 12x20 gazebo with 6x6 post and supports, 6 post. (Tennessee) The supports (top plate 6x6) will be screwed down into the post and supported with a metal t bracket as well. (not notched accept to the each other) The plan is to pour the concrete slab with footer for the post and using concrete surface adjustable anchors with anchor bolt. The swing will be mounted between the 2 post on the end. possibility of 300 lbs swinging on this thing and just wanted expert advice on will the support be sufficient. I know above ground post mounting is better for the life of the post. will the concrete anchors and long braces be enough to support he sideways stress or should the last 2 post be mounted in the ground for added strength. I have looked and didn't see a post cover in detail.

any experience advice would be appreciated. Simple answers for a simple person please! lol

something simliar to the below with a porch swing on the pink end support.

Old 06-10-24, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
"Simple answers for a simple person please! lol"
I know what you want but it's a rather complex question and you haven't provided enough information to provide one correct answer.

Most post post bases/brackets provide primarily weight bearing support with very little to hold the posts vertical as you fear. The diagonals shown in your drawing will be very important. The length of those diagonals will have a huge impact on the stiffness of the structure and how much it moves when someone swings.

Strongest and stiffest would be to extend your diagonals from the top of one column to the bottom of the next, but but that's not so good for easily walking into the structure. At the other end of the spectrum the diagonal are not there or are really tiny and the building will want to parallelogram. So, somewhere in between is what you drew.

Old 06-10-24, 11:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you Pilot, 8 foot post and 3 foot angle supports all made of 6x6. The side span between post would be roughly 8.5 feet and the span between end post is routhly 11 feet. the concrete achors i'm looking at are just the simple Simpson adjustable bracket. I've been trying to figure out someway to make an angle support for the middle of the swing beam to the roof but haven't come up with anything yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: