Deck/Stairs Cost

Old 07-20-01, 01:48 PM
kdrofwdc
Visiting Guest
This may be off topic, but I am hiring someone to put in a small (4'x8') deck with 4 stairs down to the ground. It's really just a stairway for a new door we're putting in. We'll do it in 2x6 Ceder.

I got a quote of $6500 to do this, which sounds totally off the charts to me, like several times what it should cost. I'm in the process of getting another quote, but I wanted to see if I am off base here or not.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-01, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kdrofwdc,
Yes, you need more quotes. I'd get five or six. Cedar is a bit more expensive than Pressure Treated lumber in most areas. You should realize that cedar, although beautiful, is fairly soft for a deck board. Happy hunting for more contractors.
fred

Old 07-25-01, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink Deck price

Hi!
I recently had a 20x28 PTW deck with Mahogany railings done with two sets of stairs. I was quoted $15 per Sqft to do the deck. $18 for the stairs and of course the mohagany was a bit more. All this for under $10,000.
I checked around and found that the median range for decking should be between $18 & $25 a sqft. That should give you a gauge.
For $6500, you should be getting a 4'x8' gold plated deck with silver plated stairs !
As Fred suggested, get a lot more estimates.
Good luck!
Jaydee27