Ever heard of wooden decks built on block retaining wall?

Old 07-28-01, 08:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to build a grade level wood deck 26 wide x 16 deep that is skirted with a block retaining wall (with unilock type blocks) on the back side as the our grade slopes off about 3 feet over the 16 depth. I am not envisioning railings all the way around opting instead for a transition into planter beds and/or sitting walls created by the retaining wall as it rises and meets up with the level of the deck floor.

Has anyone ever seen this type of hybrid or think it might work? Any pictures you can point me to would also be great...

Thanks.

BryanK

Old 07-31-01, 10:25 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i understand what you are going for and my only concern is that at the lowest grade you would be making around a 5 foot high retaining wall

I do not know that the wall can be this high if its not actually "retaining" soil behind it as there would most definitely be a lack of stability

Also many retaining wall pavers are one sided so you woul view the unfinished side from the deck?

Let me suggest to you this

Build a "stone" wall around the deck from the grade up to a height of 24-30 inches

This can be built with lightweight concrete cast stones

Stones are mortared onto diamond expanded lathe with #30 felt behind it on CDX grade 1/2 plywood

Rough cost is $ 59 plf at a height of around 30" -not including any stone face you put around the deck as skirting

HOpe this helps------------josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: