Stain vs. Sealer

Old 08-13-01, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a new deck, with pressure treated wood. It has thoroughly dried out, so I'm ready to stain and seal.

I've been looking at Behr products, but I'm not sure which one is right for my job. They have Natural Seal Plus, which is a water proofer that has stain in it. They also have Deck Plus that is a stain with water repellent in it.

Which is more appropriate for a new deck? Or is it better to find just plain old stain, and apply a separate water proofer?

thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-13-01, 09:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kevin,
You don't need to apply two products. And, some of the newer stains can be applied almost immediately after deck construction, without the longer wait.
I recommend finding a toned, penetrating, oil stain with water repellency and UV protection. The colored stains offer more protection than clear finishes due to the oxide UV inhibitors. The sun's UV rays are wood's worst enemiies.
If you ask ten people, you'll get ten different brand suggestions. Here are a few with the above qualities. Wolman's, Cabots, TWP, and possibly Flood.
One other thing to remember - expect to get two good years, maybe three, before the next aplication.
fred

Old 08-14-01, 05:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Sun vs. Water

Thanks for the advice Fred! If the sun is the worst enemy for the wood, then I'll assume that the sun is worse than water... so the strong stain with water repellent might be better than the water proofer with stain tone.

Kevin

Old 08-14-01, 06:37 AM
Hi Kevin,
Well, the sun would be considered the worst enemy for a deck's appearance. The sun's UV turns untreated wood grey. Whereas the water could eventually cause some cracking and rotting of the wood. But with the PT lumber any rotting, primarily at ground level, is twenty or more years away.
Actually, water proofing and water repellency are synonymous. You may want to get out of HD/Lowe's and check out some alternatives at the specialty paint stores. These are my two favorite stores also, but, with wood treating products, they only stock what the mfgs advertise. And there are better products available: penetrating oil stains,
which repels water and have UV protection. Some of the better products also prevent mildew growth.
fred

Old 08-14-01, 11:11 AM
Visiting Guest
fewalt mentioned twp or Total Wood Protection. they can be found at http://www.mfgsealants.com

Old 08-14-01, 11:57 AM
ugadog91,
MFG Sealants is a 'local' company, and not very many people are going to buy deck stain over the net, and pay the extra hazardous shipping charges. TWP is a Amteco trademark and presently employee owned as Gemini Corp. It may be found locally at a good paint store or even possibly special ordered.
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: