wooden deck planters

Old 01-21-02, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
wooden deck planters

Need some info on building a wooden planter (5ft long, 24" wide & deep)on a deck...deck is about 3 feet off ground...how do you attach it to the deck if some of the support is on the ground...
Do I leave the bottom open to help with rotting/watering...do I put inserts in there on adjustable ledges so I can move plants in and out for the seasons.

I can visilize a wooden bench on the deck but having trouble visilizing the wooden planter...Any information would be appreciated...ppk

Old 01-27-02, 10:40 PM
Visiting Guest
i'm not exactly sure i am visualizing what you have in mind----maybe a little more detail of a drawing would help....

i prefer to build boxes around plastic containers to delay rotting (and allow changing out pots if you wish). find some containers that meet your size requirements (alone or in combination) and just build a bottomless box to fit around them. having the containers sit off the deck will also delay rotting.

not sure about your "how do i attach it" question.....do you even need to attach it or will it sit on the deck on its own? if you need to secure it, perhaps an 'L' bracket intalled on the inside of the box will hold it to the deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: