Plastic Decking?

Old 03-09-02, 03:34 PM
smithomas
Visiting Guest
Question Plastic Decking?

I was recently at a home show and a vendor was selling a product called Carefree Exteriors HPDE Decking & Railing. The website is www.carefree-products.com. Can anyone coment on their experience using it or on feedback which they have recieved.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-02, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smithomas,
Composite decking materials will be one of a consumers' choices to replace CCA pressure treated lumber. The forest industry may come up with a replacement treated wood. Of course, there is still cedar, redwood, cypress, and other rot resistant woods.
If you can find a local dealer, and the product is within your budget, I would give it a try. Carefree is not yet available in my area but we have seen Trex and Fiberon and a couple others. This product has just recently been released. Hopefully, more and more entering into the market will lower the consumer price.
Most reports on composite deck materails have been very positive. They will need occasional cleaning, and they can be a bit slippery. But so can wood. A home show on tv today showed one composite that is tongue and groove. It does have hidden drain slots, but I would have a problem with leaves, seeds, etc.
Do some more shopping and pick one out.
good luck,
fred

Old 03-15-02, 09:58 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
try lowes or home depot. I have seen it in the homedepot magizine. It looks pretty nice.

Old 03-16-02, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lowe's and HD. Two of my favorite stores, but not for composite deck material. Lowes here, only carries 5/4 Fiberon decking, and HD is about the same.
Try regular lumber yards, they will sometimes carry alternative brands and can order complimentary pieces. And, with a good purchase you may possibly get a nice discount.
fred