deck footings for jacuzzi deck 5000 lbs

Old 03-13-02, 01:08 PM
wendyl
Visiting Guest
deck footings for jacuzzi deck 5000 lbs

We are building a 12' X 12" deck for a Hot tub that will weigh aprox 5000 lbs with water and people, how many footings do we need, for the deck and under the hot tub for support, the deck will be aprox 3 feet off the ground. Please reply, Thxs

Old 03-13-02, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wendyl,
Have you given any thought to having the spa sit on the ground and build the deck around it?
fred

Old 03-13-02, 05:06 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If I were building this deck, assuming that it is freestanding, it would have 9 footings. In either direction, I would have footings at 2', 6', and 10'. This leaves a cantalever of 2' on all 4 sides. If I were using Simpson post bases (PSB44A, CBSQ, or whatever), each footing would be about 16" diameter and a min. of 18" deep. If I were using pier blocks, the footings would be about 18" diameter and 6" deep, with the block set in the wet 'crete. A week later, I would come back and set my 4X6 girders on posts and put in the joists at 16" to 20" on center. The next day, I would install the decking (which would probably be Trex, but might be 2X6 redwood), put the hot tub in place, then do the railings. The next day the tub would be filled with water, and two days later (once the water is warm enough) I would invite several of my closest friends over to enjoy the fruit of my labor (and a couple bottles of wine) with me.

Old 03-13-02, 05:14 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wendyl, I misread your location. Adjust the depths of the footings so that they are below your frost line. (Check with your local bldg. dept. to find out what that is.)

Fred, I thought about that too, but decided against suggesting that the tub be set on a slab and the deck built around it. My grandkids would use it like the deep end of a swimming pool and be diving into that SOB!

Old 03-13-02, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gotcha Lefty!!

Old 03-28-02, 12:00 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
hot tub

i have a freestanding 300 gallon @ roughly 2nd story height.. but i put trex @ 12 inch centers with 2x8 joists spanning roughly 3 feet... trex isnt not as strong as 2 X material..very good when wet though not at all slippery...

18" diameter piers? ..get your shovel in shape fast
seriously i would consider renting a power auger... they are so much faster than shovel by hand

i have 12 inch piers 11 of them... there are alot of ways you could lay this out... for my money i would NOT put the hot tub over a cantilevered part of the deck if you go that route... mine rests directly on 9 of the 4x4s with the other 2 supporting the front half of a 10x 12 deck

Hope this helps--Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: