Beams on a irregular deck shape

Old 04-05-02, 10:03 PM
short_thumb
Visiting Guest
Beams on a irregular deck shape

I am planning on building a deck that has two "alcoves" on the sides and one "alcove" at the far end opposite the house. My main goal in building the deck is to put in as few posts as possible. As a result, I have come up with a plan that uses only two beams but I am wondering if it will pass inspection. I have attached a diagram of the deck shape and where the beams will be located. (Hopefully the picture will be included)

I appreciate any feedback!

short_thumb

Old 04-06-02, 06:14 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your picture didn't come through, and you have given us no dimensions, so I have no idea whether it will pass or not.

Old 04-06-02, 08:55 PM
short_thumb
Visiting Guest
I'll try to post the picture again. It says that there is a 1 Byte limit for Attachments. I hope that is wrong. I think it is almost impossible to have a 1 byte attachment.

Old 04-06-02, 09:23 PM
short_thumb
Visiting Guest
Alright. Looks like attachments aren't working here. I have posted the image on my web site. Here is the link to the file.

http://home.mn.rr.com/shortthumb/deck.jpg

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Short Thumb

Old 04-07-02, 07:31 PM
L
Your plan, as far as you have gone with it, can be made to work. But, with 8' between the beams, you will need, at a minimum, 2X8 joists. What size beams are you thinking about? What size, and how many posts? Footing size and type? What are you planning to use for decking?

You asked "if it will pass inspection." If that means you are going to pull a permit for this deck, you will need drawings so that the bldg. dept. can approve the plan. Start at the dirt and detail your solution to each of the above items I mentioned. If the deck will be more than 30" above grade, show them a detail for the railing. Has to be 36" tall (min.), and have no opening that a 4" ball can pass through. If you will have any stairs, detail them also. Same 4" ball rule, EXCEPT, where the tread and riser of each step meet, that little triangle (formed by the tread, the riser, and the rail as the hypotenuse) can allow no 6" ball to be passed through it. And the railing must be parallel to the stairs -- same height above the tread nose at the top and bottom. Hopes this helps.

If you go to the bldg. dept. with a fairly decent set of drawings that cover all of this, they will have no problem making any corrections that they will require due to conditions specific to your local area.

Old 04-07-02, 08:13 PM
short_thumb
Visiting Guest
I plan on using 2x8 joists and 2x10 beams. I was wondering more by the location of the beams in regard to proper support. It seemed like there might be a problem with having the side "alcoves" joists only supported by one beam (even though they are connected to the rest of the structure).

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-08-02, 09:08 AM
L
I am assuming that you will have a ledger on the house. The first beam is shown 6' out from the house. The second is shown 8' farther out, then a 2' cantilevered section of deck. That is fine. But I doubt that the 2X10 beams will fly. Will probably have to use a 4X6 for the beams. Posts (4X4 or 4X6) should be about 5' apart under each beam. Set pier blocks at each post location, and set the pier blocks in about 6" of wet concrete that is twice the daimeter of the pier blocks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: