post hole digging...

Old 04-09-02, 06:25 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
post hole digging...

Part of a deck question...I was in the backyard with my trusty post hole digger digging the 5 footings for my new deck. As I worked my way down, I was able to dig all 4 holes.......1foot deep..... it turns out that a tree was once where the middle of my desk is going to be. Roots are all over the place. I was able to take a reciprocating saw and tear out some of the roots. Some of the other roots are over 3 inches thick. Under these roots about 18" down, is a broken up plate of limestone and clay. My question is....should I continue on with this task? I have 3 feet to go with each hole. Or should I have someone come in and do the dirty work for me. I really have no Idea where to start if I do hire the work out. I have heard of some hydraulic diggers, but where would I call for one of these

Thanks,

Old 04-09-02, 05:47 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Our local newspaper has a service directory in the classified ads. One of the catagories is for post holes. The guys who advertise there have the equipment to deal with digging holes (even in "tight backyards") from 8" to 24" in diameter. Their equipment is usually a post hole auger mounted on a Bobcat or a trailer that tows behind a pickup. If your local paper doesn't have this type of directory, another option would be a local rental yard. Figure out what either of these 2 options would cost where you are, and compare that to how much time and how many shovels you will go through to dig them by hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: