Do It Yourself Deck Plan/Build

Old 04-10-02, 04:35 PM
kelnol
Visiting Guest
Question Do It Yourself Deck Plan/Build

I just came across this board and you guys seem to be pretty informed on this subject. I have a few questions if any of you could spare a moment.

We are in the planning stages of building a deck to be completed by summer for our Long Island home. We had planned to hire a contractor but the prices I'm getting seem pretty high - $15000 appx 1000 sf deck with a staircase connecting to a second floor deck and a small 10x10 enclosed basic bar area.

I am looking for a good starting point of having our design made into plans and more so how to figure our material list and costs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-02, 08:42 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
15$ a sf doesnt seem to astronomical ....but if you want to make or plan it yourself you can buy deck software for comps or use a "ready made" blueprint and have an architect modify it to meet your needs for a relatively low cost. You need the prints or plans to figure materials. I used 3d homebuilder.. but it doesnt do decks. It does however give you a full materials list based on your plan so im sure some decking software has similar capabilities.

Hope this helps--Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: