Buikding a deck

Old 04-11-02, 11:43 AM
shaneg
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Buikding a deck

I just ran into this forum and thought I'd ask everyone a few questions. I am ready to start a deck. I have a brick home that faces east. The back of the house where I plan to build the deck has an exposed basement that is only about 2 feet in the ground. I want to build a deck that I can walk out on to from the main level of the house, which means it will be in the air a ways. I also want to cover the main level of the deck and step down to a second level that is not covered. I don't really know where to begin. I can draw up what I want, but I don't trust my local hardware store to help me with plans. I talked to them today, and they are new and don't really seem to know much more than me. What is the best way for me to get what I need and an idea of how to best build my dream deck. Any tricks on keeping the sun out of my eyes? I hope that covering will partially help as well as planting some trees, but am wondering if any one has come up with a nice looking way to shade a deck that faces west. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-02, 10:11 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
order some back issues of "the family handyman" where they build decks..theyve done a million dif styles and some with coverings and whatnot.. it will help give you an idea of construction techniques and common problems and maybe an idea or two to use

Hope this helps---Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: