Deck skirting

Old 04-11-02, 05:46 PM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
Deck skirting

I have a plan for solid board skirting using 5/4 decking boards attached vertically to the sides and front of the deck. To
secure the bottom it shows 2X4's staked to the ground, running parallel to and directly under the end and side joists. The bottoms of the vertical planks are screwed to the 2X4s. Is this secure enough?

Old 04-11-02, 07:58 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Staking the 2X4's to the ground would be, in my opinion, a mistake. Earth-to-wood contact will only result in termites and rotten wood. A better way would be to run a bottom rail about 6" above the dirt to attach the lower part of the 5/4 boards to. Attach the rail between the posts of the deck. Instead of running the 5/4 boards all the way to the ground, I might end them at the lower rail, then use 6" strips of PVC privacy lattice to fill the bottom 6" below the rail. Or maybe a double or triple course of red clay bricks. Something that being in contact with dirt won't affect it.

Old 04-12-02, 05:10 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
I've thought of that but..

..what would I attach the bototm rail to?. I am using standard railing fro ths deck with notched posts bolted to the sides, and nothing going below the deck.

Old 04-12-02, 04:48 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How far back from the edge of the deck are the posts? What did you use for a facia around the edge of the deck?

If the posts are close enough to the edge, you could frame out from them to support the bottom rail. If the facia is a 2X, you could frame down from that with 2X4's and face nail a 2X rail (flat) onto those 2X4's. Or, to make it really strong, do both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: