Flashing the ledger, washers, or blocks of wood?

Old 04-11-02, 09:16 PM
NewHomeOwner16
Visiting Guest
Flashing the ledger, washers, or blocks of wood?

What is a Z flashing? I just had my house sided and the contractor who did it said i would have to remove 1 section of siding to expose the point on the wall where I will place my ledger. Or should I put the lag bolts right through the vinyl siding, using washers or blocks of wood to allow water to run to the ground?

Old 04-12-02, 08:17 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DO NOT lag your ledger board right through the vinyl siding. You basically have 2 options.

First would be to do as the siding contractor suggested. Remove the course of siding (AND the insulation under the siding) where the ledger will be attached, attach the ledger board to the original siding, then install J-channel above, below and on both ends of the ledger, then recut the siding you removed to fit into the J-channel. If you aren't sure how to do that and maintain the water-tight integrety of the J-channel and the siding, have the contractor do it for you.

The other option would be to leave the siding alone and design the deck so that it is free-standing, with about a 1/2" gap between the decking and the vinyl siding.

Either of those 2 options will work just fine.

Old 04-15-02, 10:54 AM
Wildo
Visiting Guest
Oooops,

I just built a deck last fall and attached the ledger directly to the siding. What are the down sides to doing this? I hate to know.

Will

Old 04-15-02, 01:20 PM
chadt
Visiting Guest
Wildo,

One bad thing that I know of, it's that you are not wood on wood. This means:

1. As you lagged the bolts through your siding, you created holes, hence letting moisture to in the inside of your house. Usually, you remove the siding, the 1/4" insulation, and if its vinyl, the bottom fitting. You then install your ledger, caulk all along the edge, then install your dripcap. Making sure no water enter your house. Then reapply the fitting, and whatever insulation you need, then cutting the siding to size, which sometimes you dont even have to do that.

Now I think there is a fix to what you've done. But maybe someone else can think of something other than a task I will not talk about.

Last edited by chadt; 04-16-02 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-15-02, 07:07 PM
L
Wildo, The ledger really needs to be attached SOLIDLY to the original siding of the house. Drilling the holes through the vinyl and then running the bolts into the rim joist, studs or whatever wood member you embedded them in still leaves a gap (the thickness of the vinyl siding, plus the air gap behind it, as space between the ledger and the original siding of the house. The ledger is now resting 100% on the bolts, not being held against the original siding. This leaves room for the ledger to work back and forth (towards the house and away from it), with probably a 3/4" space in which it can move.

PLEASE tell me you didn't use the bolt to crush the vinyl tight to the original siding!! That would be the second mistake. Vinyl siding expands and contracts horizontally as the weather warms and cools. You have to allow for that movement or it will split and/or break. If you look carefullt at your vinyl siding, especially in the winter, you will notice that there is a gap of probably 1/4" between the end of each panel and the J-channel or corner post that it ends in. Look at it in July or August and that gap will not be there, or at least most of it won't.

Whatever you did, it IS correctable. It's not a mistake that will cost you your first born male child or anything, but left alone, without correcting it, it could lead to moisture problem in the wall later. Post back, and you will be told how to fix it.

Old 04-17-02, 03:52 PM
sboj
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up ledger board connection

New Home owner16, Lefty, Chadt, Wildo.

Go to Hangrite.com. There is a new way to connect the ledger board to the house. I hope this will help you.

Old 04-17-02, 07:12 PM
L
So I went to "hangrite" (and then I tried "hangright") and found that no such site could be found. So, until somebody tells me different, I will stick with what I know to be the right way to attach a deck to a house that has vinyl siding -- remove enough siding to allow you to atach the ledger to the ORIGINAL siding of the house, "J" around the ledger, and install the siding into the J-channel.

Old 04-18-02, 05:43 AM
Wildo
Visiting Guest
Lefty, I will do as you suggest!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: