Deck planning

Old 04-14-02, 09:20 AM
Chip Johnson
Visiting Guest
Question Deck planning

I am planning a deck for my house in NH. Size will be 10'Lx24'W. My question is about support. I know about ledgers to attach to the house, but at the end of the deck, do I need cantileavered beam? Or can I attach the end beam right to the 4x4 posts? I figure I would need 3 posts, and footings will be at least 36" deep. Ledger and header will be 2x10, joists will be 2x8 or 2x6, 16" O.C.

Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-02, 06:51 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds to me like you need to put more support under the deck. A ledger and 3 posts is not enough for a deck the size you are talking about.

Whether you cantilever or not is your call. I would run 2 rows of posts on a deck this size -- the outside row at 10' if not cantilevered, or 8' if it is. The second row would be at the mid-span of the joists. Each row would have either 4 or 5 posts, depending on whether you cantilever the end of the beam(s) or not. What size of beam(s) are you planning on?

Old 04-15-02, 05:40 AM
Chip Johnson
Visiting Guest
OK I think I may have got the dimensons wrong. I sometimes have a hard time typing what I am trying to say. The deck is going to come out from the house 10'. and will be 24' wide. So the ledger will be 24' long. Does that make any sense? the reason I say this is that I didn't think I would need 3 rows of posts, especially if I cantilever. There would be support at the ledger, then the beam at 8'. I was thinking 4 posts across would be sufficient, as the deck will be less than 3 feet off the ground. For the beam, I was thinking of doubling up 2x10's. I have read that a 1/4 or so inch spacer between them is a good idea.

How does that sound?

Thanks for your input by the way...will be very helpful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: