Deck Footings

Old 04-15-02, 05:33 AM
Roscoe_t
Visiting Guest
Deck Footings

I am building a 16' x 16' deck and am a novice. I live in an area that has heavy frost in the winter and I want to know how many footings I need for this deck. It will be attached to the house and part of it will sit on an existing 4' x 8' steel frame (from a previous balcony). I know I need cement footings, and have been told they need to be 4' deep. How many would I need? What spacing? Could I use cement footing around the exterior of the deck and decking spikes on the interior of the deck? I was thinking of 4 cement footings at 8' intervals, then decking spikes in between.

Old 04-20-02, 05:34 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
The number of footings depend on how big your beams (how for the beam can span). The number of beams you need depends on the size of your joists.

A 16x16 deck with a two foot catalever and one side attached to a house can be constructed with two footings.

I decide how many footings to put in by what the soil conditions are. If I am building in sand and the deck is only two feet of the ground, I will save money by putting in six footings. If I am building in dry rocky clay that has no access to a bobcat with auger, I use less footings and make the beams and joists larger.

Your local lumber yard can help you with joist and beam sizing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: