Playset wood material- cedar vs. treated

Old 04-16-02, 06:46 AM
berkshireb2
Visiting Guest
Playset wood material- cedar vs. treated

After reviewing all the threads on the cedar vs. treated question on the site, I am still uncertain which type of wood is the best for holding up against splitting, decay, and general degradation. As initially asked, I too have a similar concern on which type of lumber to use (cedar vs. treated) for a playground set. I am pretty confident my kids won't be eating the wood so the chemicals in treating the wood are not to much of a concern. What I am concerned about is the longevity of the set, and low maintenance.

Old 04-16-02, 10:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Brand-name pressure-treated wood (Weyerhaeuser, G-P, etc.) usually has a 50-year limited warranty.
Cedar doesn't. P-T will far outlast it.
However, you should know that this is treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate, and the industry has agreed to stop using CCA by the end of next year.
Unless a child or pet is eating the wood or the dirt that the CCA may the leaching into, I personally wouldn't worry about it.
I've been working with p-t wood for many years, and there's nothing wrong with me that I'm aware of. I just don't breath the dust, NEVER burn it and inhale the poisonous smoke, and I try not to eat p-t wood every chance that I get.
But that's just me.
You may want to go with cedar, however. It should outlast the childhood years anyway. Your call. I like p-t wood for its longevity. Maybe one of the pros in here (I'm not one) has another opinion.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: