Joist Span

Old 04-18-02, 08:31 AM
WarrenT
Visiting Guest
Joist Span

Since I got such good responses from my last question I would like to ask another.
Home depot provided the dimensions for my 16 X 14 deck.
The 16' lenth will be against the house.
I am using 2 X 8's for the joists and ledger. The joist's will be 16" O.C. I was told to dig four post holes 13' out from the house spaced about 55" apart. HD recomends 4 X4 posts with 2 -2 X 6's
for the beam. (one placed on either side of the post secured with carriage bolts) I'm not real comfortable with the beam size. What do you guys think? I'm worried about bounce.

Thanks Again!

Warren

Old 04-19-02, 05:40 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
Go with a double 2X10

Looking up joist span on the NET will return a ton of sites with tables, local building codes, etc. Most of these show a beam of double 2X one size up from the joist size.
Looks like you have 14' deep deck with a 1 foot cantilever past the beam. If you used a two foot overhang, your joist span would be only 12 feet, which would mean less bounce. Also, as long as your a Depot shopper, you might want to pick up a copy of ther Decks 1-2-3 book. Lots of good tips.

Old 04-19-02, 06:31 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
From the ledger to the beam is 13'? You have good reason to worry about "bounce"!! At the very least, I would add a beam at 6'-6"!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: