replacing decking, maybe

Old 04-22-02, 08:29 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question replacing decking, maybe

How practical is it to just replace the decking material on a 10-12 year old pressure treated deck? As I check beneath, the joists all look in otherwise geat condition, hangers as well, seeing as the decking has taking the abuse from usage/weather. The banding around the perimeter of the deck could probably go as well as its been exposed too. The deck can splinter under neath bare feet and it is starting to split as well as been bleached by the sun. So If I were to only replcae the decking (or should I) would that be wise? Thoughts please, Thanks

Squid

Old 04-22-02, 12:00 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I would recommend decking replacement. The band could go as well as the railing if it has aged too. Any stairs should be checked while your at it. After you remove all the old decking, be sure to double check all your joists, beams, and ledger. Especially where any two meet. This is the area where the wood is most prone to rotting. A screwdriver is a good tool to poke at the lumber. Replace anything questionable and enjoy your new deck when complete!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: