Can I attach one end of a beam to the ledger?

Old 04-27-02, 08:33 AM
merbert99
Visiting Guest
Can I attach one end of a beam to the ledger?

I am wondering if I can and how I would go about attaching one end of a beam to a 2x10 ledger board. In the picture attached to this post there is a 3' section that I need to beam that would half to run parrallel with the ledger. The 9' section labeled in the picture would require a beam coming of perpendicular to the ledger.

I would prefer not to have to replace the ledger board that already runs along the house.

Is this possible, or should I just use pilings (one very close to the house) support both ends of the beams?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Attachments did not work for 1K file. Adding drawing below. Although it may not look that way, the two 9' sections come to a right angle. The ledger runs along the 11' and the 9' sections of the house.

-----------------------\
|................................\
|..................................\ 9'
|....................................\
|......................................\
|........................................\
|........................................ /\
|.......DECK........................./....\
|....................................../........\
|................................9'../............\
|.................................../...............\
|................................./....................\
------------------------/........................\------------|
...3...|.........11'....................................................|
........|.....................HOUSE..................................|

Last edited by merbert99; 04-27-02 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-02, 07:02 PM
merbert99
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, silence...

Should I reword this because it is not clear? Or is it a dumb question?

Rob

Old 05-01-02, 08:08 AM
merbert99
Visiting Guest
Ok, I am going to assume that my question or diagram is not clear.

Let me ask this... do the following diagrams look like a workable solution for the deck? (I.E railings asside, assuming I pick the correct size lumber for beams and joists could it be built to code with this substructure?)

This first link is a diagram of the substructure.
The ledger runs along the 11' section accross the bottom and at a 45 degree angel up the 9' section.

The red indicates beams, the blue joists and the green posts.
The red beam running accross the top will have the joists and the beam running up and down cantilevered on it.

The shorter red beam (bottom left) is protruding out the side of the house about 3' to allow for a set of stairs to run toward the front of the house. This beam will be attached to the ledger with lag bolts and runs parrallel to the ledger.

http://members.shaw.ca/rob.groten/de...bstructure.gif

This second link shows the decking.
The deck boards are green (I am considering a composite, thus the joist spacing).

The tops of the joists (blue) and beams (red) are all at the same height, thus decking can be attached to any beams or joists shown.

Note that I may be missing some small joists for supporting the ends of deck boards.

http://members.shaw.ca/rob.groten/de...k6_decking.gif

Old 05-01-02, 09:29 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Merbert99, this is quite a discussion that you seem to be having with yourself! Let me try to clarify a few things here and see if I can help you out.

You show these 2 ledgers attached to the house. You joists will be attached to the ledger so that the top of the joist is flush with the top of the ledger. When you get out to the beam, the joists will rest on top of the beam. That means the beam will be lower than the the ledger, by the height of the joist. You show a 2X10 ledger -- that would lead me to think that you will be using 2X10 joists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that make the top of the beam flush with the BOTTOM of the ledger? You aren't going to connect the beam to the ledger.

Here's what I would do. Use the ledgers as you have them shown. Run your joists out to the beam so that the joists are level. Support the beam on posts, but don't try to attach the beams to the ledgers. THAT is what is confusing you!! The top of the beams will be at the level of the bottom of the ledgers There is no way to connect the two, nor is there a need to. Your beams will be self supporting. They don't have to be tied to the ledgers.

Old 05-02-02, 11:36 AM
merbert99
Visiting Guest
Hi Lefty, thanks for the help.

I do talk to myself sometimes to work through ideas...and if someone is listening and has input that is great.

So I think I understand what you are saying, I was confused. What I called a beam (red lines running up and down the page when you look at the substructure) is actually just a joist with other joists connected onto it (this builds the substructure in the 9x9 triangular section of the deck). Do you think that it should be a single joist, or would a double joist be more effective? Do I need to use a post midway on this same joist?

What about the other joist that extends the 3 feet beyond the house and ledger (the red lines bottom left of the substructure). This joist runs parrallel to the ledger, I believe I would need the post to support the one end of this and how would you attach it to the ledger?

Thanks again lefty. Rob.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: