Long Ledger

Old 05-04-02, 01:25 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Long Ledger

For my Deck Plans I will need 20' beams and ledger. What is the best way to joint boards of shorter length to acomplish this? The beams are double 2x8 and the ledger 2x8.

Thanks

Aaron

Old 05-04-02, 07:17 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2X8's come in 20' lengths -- what's the problem? If you have no way to haul a 20' board, have them delivered. Otherwise, get 10' lengths and build accordingly. Why use a double 2X8 for the beam? I always use a 4X, both for the beam and for the posts. Much simpler, and Simpson has a great selection of Post-to-Beam connectors.

Old 05-07-02, 08:02 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
Here is what I think your are asking:

1.) My ledger is 20' long.
2.) My beam will be constructed from double 2X8's (or double 2X10's - even better).
3.) The longest length I can get without special order and delivery is 16'.
4.) I will be using post and beam construction with the beam sitting on top of the posts.
5.) I want to space the posts and cut the beam members so the splices will overlap and still be positioned over the posts.

Well, Now that we've got that out of the way, it all comes down to number of posts and where you put them.

Here is one of many ways you could do it:
1.) Use four posts.
2.) Position the two outside posts at 18" in from the end (the beam will overhang the outside posts a foot and a half). Now you have a 17' span between the two outside posts.
3.) Divide that by 3, giving 5' 8".
4.) Space your inside two posts at 5' 8".
5.) Cut you two beam pieces at 12'10" and the other two at 7'2".
6.) Build the beam with a short and a long on one side, and a long and a short on the other.

This will give you what you need, but as you can see, it just comes down to measuring and spacing.

We built a 26' beam over five posts, building it on the posts - piece by piece, leaving the outside pieces a little longer than needed. We then re checked our square measurements from the ledger and trimmed the sides of the beam for a perfect fit.

Old 05-10-02, 07:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pjb1,
Thanks. That is what I was wondering. I should have been more specific. However, I have found a place that will deliver 20-ft 2x8s.

Thanks again

Aaron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: