low deck on top of concrete patio

Old 05-06-02, 06:59 AM
aaronr
Visiting Guest
low deck on top of concrete patio

I am sweating over the design of a deck for our backyard. We already have an existing patio that is at ground level, which is about 11" down from the bottom of the door. I would like the deck to start about an inch from the bottom of the door, so I only have 10" to work with near the house. My design includes 2x8 beams that run perpendicular to the house for a span of 16'. I'm not sure how to support the 2x8 beam near the house, becuase once you add in the height of the deck surface, the 2x8 beam would have to be about an inch off the concrete patio. All of the deck plans I've seen are for northern houses that are built up off the ground with plenty of clearance.

I would like a floating deck, but I have considered attaching a ledger to the house and then supporting one end of the beam with the ledger, but I'm not sure you're supposed to support a beam with a ledger. I think beams usually run parallel to ledgers...not perpendicular. So maybe I'm a victim of my own poor design...

Any ideas?

Old 05-08-02, 01:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can set a floating pressure-treated wood deck right on the patio.
The weight of it will keep it in place. You do not need to attach it to a ledger.
It is usually recommended to allow a 2" drop from doorstep to deck fpr snow and ice accumulation, so I would use 2X8s (actual 7.5") for joists and decking, which will give you a 9" height, set solidly on the patio.
Also, here is an illustratation for an attached deck from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine:

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-08-02, 05:16 AM
aaronr
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I didn't know you could put the wood right on the patio. But that will make things a lot easier...

I appreciate your help.

Aaron

Old 05-08-02, 09:17 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
Deck sitting ona patio

This may or may not work, depending on where you live and what the ground is like. Up here in the midwest, the winters are tough and the ground is mostly black dirt. Our neighborhad put a deck over a five year old patio and the patio continued to sink about 1/8" to 1/4" a year. The worst condition here for sinking concrete is an extreme drought. Things will drop 1/2" over the summer.

Old 05-08-02, 10:19 AM
aaronr
Visiting Guest
Rocky soil...

We live in Texas, and digging holes in our yard is like digging into the sidewalk. We've got some clay on top, but then it's mostly rock. So I'm thinking we'll be ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: