deck finishing

Old 05-07-02, 03:24 PM
brown lady
Visiting Guest
deck finishing

my deck is ready to be finished and i wanted to stain it is it easier to roll it on or brush and what stain should i use so it won't peel or scratch

Old 05-10-02, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
brown lady,
You can do it either way, but either way you will probably have a brush in one hand. I just completed another deck stain job. I did use a roller, the job will go quicker, but you may need to back brush or hit between exposed deck boards. Roll three or four boards at a time. Do the the length of the deck, then touch up any spots the roller missed. Then continue with the next section.
For a stain - please read the other thread here, or find a colored stain you like that is oil-based, has water repellancy, and UV protection. You should get three or four years service before it needs done again.
fred

Old 05-19-02, 04:56 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
Brown Lady,

Depending on your decks age, condition what was previously on, things of that nature will tell you what is best to be applied to your deck. If your deck is older you may want to go with a solid color stain, that you will get 3 years or so from. If your deck is newer, you shouldnt cover it up with a solid color stain you should stick with something that will look great and compliment your deck rather then cover it up. Depending on what stain you use will determine the way you apply it. If your deck stain shows overlapping marks then you should only do a few boards at a time. these stains are either a solid color or semi - transparent which will show those marks. Not all stains are the same. Depends how you want your deck to look and how much money you want to spend. Some stains or " Goof Proof " and these are the stains most contractors use. They look great and are very easy to apply. Railing is usually sprayed with a airless sprayer, and deck surface is usually rolled on then back brushed if needed. Feel free to visit our site and view our pictures if you have any questions or would like more detailed instructions you can post on our message board.

Mark

Waterworks NW

http://www.waterworksnw.com

Old 05-19-02, 05:01 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
FEWALT

What kind of stain do you use? Cabbots? Menwood? You should really try Penofin if you havent Blue label is 90% uv, red label is 99% uv, have you heard of ready seal? sound like you are using a semi trans stain or solid. Do you have a website with pictures i would like to see your work.

Mark

Old 05-19-02, 05:33 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
mhpoole:

What type of deck wash do you use when cleaning your decks? I have a cedar deck and own a pressure washer, and want a good quality wash to help bring out the dirt.

I believe I used something like Dekswood recently, can't remember exactly. I diluted the cleaner and manually scrubbed the deck, then pressure washed it. Came out Ok, but could be better, looks sorta dry right now. The deck is about 4-5yrs old now. Is there something recommended to siphon thru the pressure washer as well?

For finishing the deck, I'd like to bring out the natural grain of the wood and not hide it at all. I live in the NorthEast and plan to try and find that Penofin you mention.

Old 05-19-02, 06:20 PM
Mark,
First off, I will not apply a solid color deck stain to a customer's deck. Solid colors, whether acrylic, latex, or whatever, are film based and will evenually peel. I once stripped a peeling solid deck stain from my own deck a few years back and vowed never to go that way again.
I only recommend using oil-based penetrating stains, and these are usually semi-transparent. I usually apply Wolmans F&P, but I have used both Sikkens and Cabots. I have also used TWP in the past with good results. All of these brands have been rated highly by Consumers Report. I even offer a copy of the report to all my customers.

MeffaDawg,
The preferred cleaner/brightener for cedar is an oxalic acid wash.
Dekswood (by Flood) is an oxalic acid wash. However, if your deck was previously stained it will probably require a stripping prior to brightening. Some liquid soap can always be added to a wash solution. There is really no need to use the injector for a pressure washer after pre-soaking the above.
One othr tip - avoid using any household bleach to clean wood. It will bleach out all the natural color.

fred

PS:
I have never experienced over-lapping marks with any of the above.

Old 05-19-02, 06:49 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
agreed oxalic acid is the way to go

Old 05-19-02, 07:33 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
fewalt, sorry didnt mean to ruffle any feathers, atleast you dont put any solid stains on. So do you have a website?

Old 05-19-02, 07:41 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Good to know Dekswood is a proper cleaning solution.

The only thing I've ever done is use Thompsons water sealer (I now know it's an inferior product) a couple of times. Never any stains used at all.

I plan to clean the deck one more time and then try the Penofin. Price isn't a problem as long as I'm getting a quality product.

Old 05-19-02, 07:49 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
Brightener

Meffa,

You should spray on Behr Cleaner & Brightener it comes in a green one gallon jug, you can get it from home depot also. spray it on with a 15 dollar sprayer, keep it wet for 20 min, deck should be dry when you first apply it. Mix it half and half, after 15 to 30 min your gonna see a huge difference, then power wash your deck. keep the pw tip about 5 to 6 inches away use a 40 degree tip (white tip) once you start with a board dont stop abuptly, if you need to stop in the middle of a board fan the pw away dont just pull it away you will leave a line mark. then let it dry for a few days, then apply penofin, cedar or western red cedar, apply with roller, let it soak for 45 min, then wipe off the excess, then wait a couple of hours and do one more coat the same way. then wipe up the excess with a white towel. stay off it for a couple of days and your done.

check out our site all the decks were done with penofin.

www.waterworksnw.com

Old 05-19-02, 08:01 PM
Mark,
No feathers were ruffled!. I just state what I have learned over the past few years and my previous deck experience since I had one of the first decks in the neighborhood way back in the 70's.

Well, I don't have a commercail type website, but I have a few pics posted on photofun.com. But, I've had trouble accessing it this weekend - apparent server problem.
I'll let you know when it's available. And maybe I'll get a few more pics posted.

fred

Old 05-19-02, 08:11 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
So spray the Behr product on my deck while it's dry, leave it on for up to 30 minutes, then pressure wash, sounds easy!

Is the Penofin Red much better than the Blue? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-02, 08:18 PM
Mark,
What's in the Behr cleaner/brightener? If Meffa's used Thompsons on his deck and water beads to any degree, it should be stripped off first. Don't you agree?

fred

Old 05-19-02, 09:49 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
sorry yes i missed that part, you should strip it first if there is thompsons on it. You can use biowash strip-x L

Post on my message board so people can see my posts if you dont mind.

www.waterworksnw.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: