Deck lattice

Old 05-12-02, 09:28 AM
Margaret in CT
Visiting Guest
Deck lattice

My sister has a deck very high off the ground and wants to install vinyl lattice between deck railings for safety purposes (kids). There is one board running horizontally between the top railing and the deck floor itself.

Can vinyl lattice be installed easily to the wood? What kind of saw to cut it and what kind of nails/screws to attach to the wood? Is there some sort of a vinyl lathing strip to finish off the edges?

Thanks for any help.

Margaret in CT

Old 05-12-02, 12:38 PM
sdharlow
Visiting Guest
Yes the vinyl lattice can easily be applied to the existing wood. A standard circular saw with a fine tooth (paneling) blade should work best. Wear your saftey glasses!! Since this will be exposed to the weather I would use Galvinized Multi purpose screws, 2 inches in length. Tou can go back and touch up the screw heads with some paint to blend in afterwards. I see you mentioned a center railing, but does it also have a bottom railing. Unless the face of your existing railings are flush with the face of your decking band board, you will want to add a bottom rail to fasten to also. I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure I have seen the vinyl lathe sold as a strip also to be used as you suggest, to cover and finish the edges. Good luck.

Old 05-12-02, 02:57 PM
Margaret in CT
Visiting Guest
sdharlow,

Thanks, just what I needed to know. No, there is no bottom railing and that's why I was looking for a lathing strip. I will look for it in vinyl.

Thanks again.

Margaret in CT

Old 05-17-02, 10:39 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
Hello Margaret -

I'm not a carpenter but I just did something similair myself.Keep in mind there are codes in CT {I am from CT also} that say you must have deck spindles or ballisters spaced every 5 inches on center.I'm not sure if the lattice is sufficient enough to pass code and the ballisters are much sturdier as well

Old 05-19-02, 07:40 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
pmg, the lattice will meet code, which simply says you your openings have to be small enough so that a 4" ball cannot be passed through it. You bring up a good point as far as sturdiness. When I use lattice under a railing, I have a post of some sort every 2' (or less) which I attach the lattice to.

Old 05-20-02, 05:14 AM
pmg
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info - I could definetely see it being sturdy with posts every 2 inches -wasn't sure if just lattice alone would meet code.Thanks again-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: