Dek-Block Pier System

Old 05-28-02, 07:26 AM
mikemidhts
Visiting Guest
Dek-Block Pier System

Has anyone used the Dek-Block pier system (I found the site www.deckplans.com in this forum) in a northern climate(Ohio for me)? I would love to build a deck which is not attached to the house, and was just wondering how well this thing worked, and if it meets code.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 06:22 PM
BlindSquirrel
Visiting Guest
Talking Dek-Blocks

I am looking at the very same plan. My father in law owns a concrete company and I showed him the plans that the website spit out. He said it looked very solid and thought it would work well. I am starting the construction next week. Will let you know how they work. I too am in Ohio.

BlindSquirrel

Old 05-30-02, 06:50 AM
mikemidhts
Visiting Guest
Great. Definitely let me know how it turns out.

Since you live in Ohio too, where are you buying the piers? The website said Home Depot stocks them, but the employee I asked there just stared blankly, then showed be the Quickcrete and post diggers.

Old 05-30-02, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Dek Blocks

I just finished installing an 8x6 deck with dek blocks at our cottage (upstate NY). I didn't have the energy to dig deep post holes (36" frost line). The deck is 39 inches high. It was pretty easy, and I am not the greatest handyman. Due to the height, it was pretty wobbly, and I was worried it wouldn't work. But when I put diagonal 2x4 braces around the perimeter, it became rock solid. Let's see what happens over the winter! I bought them at Lowes. Home Depot doesn't have them. They vary in quality however. Some of the blocks broke apart with slight hand pressure and I replaced them. Check each one before you buy. I had a 30% breakage rate before I finally checked out of the store! The Lowes management said they were aware of this problem but the manufacturer didn't do anything about it.

Old 05-31-02, 07:56 AM
joclark
Visiting Guest
I'm in GA, but my husband I installed a 10x40' deck last summer using the dek blocks. Our deck is about 1-2 feet off the ground. We have no problems at all with stability. It is as sound as any deck I've had. I would use them again in a heart-beat.

Old 06-03-02, 12:31 PM
tomjen
Visiting Guest
We are in NW Ohio and we bought everything at Carter Lumber (Reynolds Rd., south of Central Avenue in Toledo). Home Depot had something similar but not the name brand and not the same quality.

If you are near Toledo - Carter had the best lumber prices - they are celebrating 70yrs in business.

We got out of there with all the lumber, blocks and hardware for $800 on a 16'6"x16'6" about 16" high (not including 2 benches and 33' of railing).

We found the Dek-blocks to work perfect for us. On 6 of 15 we had to dig out the ground to place the blocks - to get the elevation we needed and maintain minimum post height we needed and still found it easier than having to set posts in concrete.

Jen

Old 06-03-02, 04:10 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i have used them on a 8'x24' porch.. wouldnt use them again though.. tying it into the existing building is a bit of a quandry as the directions dont address this directly but you better believe building inspectors do. It would have been less work for me in the long run to dig 4 piers than 16 blocks or so from memory...but sometimes you have to try it the "new" way. no problems with shifting so far ( over 1 year) but the pier blocks have a way of cracking around the retaining lips.. not the highest quality and seem to light for my liking. I wont use them again but thats just an opinion... i guess im a sucker for 42 inch holes with flared bases ---HOpe this helps --Josh

Old 06-07-02, 02:17 PM
BlindSquirrel
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Where to buy

Both home Depot and Lowes carry them. As a matter of fact, they even cary plans there as well. I am building a 12x20 deck and that is one of the pre-made plans they have......so far so good. I priced this system at Carter Lumber,Requarth Lumber, Home Depot and Lowes, Lowes was the cheapest for everything and my total cost is only 650.00 for the whole project.

Old 07-11-07, 05:07 PM
The reason the directions don't address tying into an existing building, and the reason building inspectors do, is that you never want to connect a floating foundation with a fixed structure (i.e. your house). The reason the floating system works is just that, it is floating, so if the ground heaves upward, there is nothing stopping it from doing so and it can move up or down uniformly. When you attach it to your house, it is no longer completely independent, and will try to move if necessary, but the house is anchoring one side, causing uneven shift or heave, which can weaken or wreck the deck and or attachment point on the house (ledger).

Originally Posted by josh1 View Post
i have used them on a 8'x24' porch.. wouldnt use them again though.. tying it into the existing building is a bit of a quandry as the directions dont address this directly but you better believe building inspectors do. It would have been less work for me in the long run to dig 4 piers than 16 blocks or so from memory...but sometimes you have to try it the "new" way. no problems with shifting so far ( over 1 year) but the pier blocks have a way of cracking around the retaining lips.. not the highest quality and seem to light for my liking. I wont use them again but thats just an opinion... i guess im a sucker for 42 inch holes with flared bases ---HOpe this helps --Josh

Old 07-12-07, 06:37 AM
Dek-Block Pier System

I would not touch them with a 10' pole where you live.

1. Not code compliant for an attached in most of the civilized areas.

2. Differential frost heaving from post to post, so the deck may not stay level. Ever try to sell a home with a bad deck?

3. You are setting the deck block on the weakest, most variable soil in your yard.

4. A waste of money compared on what you are spending on the rest of the deck materials. You can dig holes for free.

5. How do you propose to support thr deck that has been racked by differential heaving/settlement while you install proper supports.

6. They are OK for sheds and dog houses.

Dick