Anchor arbor to ground....how?

Old 06-05-02, 08:02 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Anchor arbor to ground....how?

Okay, I am getting closer to finishing my arbor - it's been a real
learning experience (mostly...read the directions, stupid!). The arbor I am building is here http://www.sunset.com/home/arborbench.html
and I am just starting the trellis. Since this thing is built first, then set on the ground, I am building it on my deck as I needed a level area. Now, since there is no way that I, or anyone, will be able to get this monster off the deck, I will disassemble it into the four main pieces, as suggested, and reassemble it at the location of it's intended home. Nature being what it is, I'm sure the site is not perfectly level, but I don't think it's really too far off.
I am trying to figure out how to anchor it to the ground. The plans state that it is heavy enough to stand on it's own, but my gut tells me to anchor it. What would be the best way to go about this? I looked at the dek-blocks at Lowes - the 4x4 post anchor brackets will sit right in those. I think that I should reassemble the beast first, dig down a bit for the blocks, and place them, level, in the approximate position for each post. Attach the anchor brackets. Then I get some strong guys to help me lift the beast up, and into the brackets - with an extra person to manuver the blocks as needed. Does this make sense? Is there an easier way? I appreciate your help!!!

Old 06-07-02, 01:12 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i didnt get a chance to look at the plans but from the sound of it your uprights are 4x posts.. i anchored a small trellis that kept blowing over in heavy winds with 4 " currogated type pipe dug down about a foot and extending the legs by screwing a treated piece on. If your legs are long enough you may be able to use 6" pipe or such taht they will fit down into a foot or so then just compact with loose gravel or even concrete if extreme winds are anticipated..

Hope this helps--Josh

Old 06-07-02, 08:00 AM
Yes - they are 4x4 posts. But the arbor plans called for cutting off the posts at 7 feet - which I did - and building it offsite. So there is no extra length left. I really don't want to dig down a foot - it really is a heavy arbor - that's why I am considering using the dek-blocks. My main concern is how do I make sure I get it level since I am reassembling it at the site and placing it on the blocks. And it seem like the dirt would settle later. Maybe I am just too picky. I think dek-block has a web site - maybe I will find some clues there.

Old 06-07-02, 09:45 AM
Rebar??

Well I looked around a bit, and came across another, easier, suggestion. Using rebar - pounding it into the ground and fastening it to the posts. Unfortuntately their was no info on how to attach it - anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Old 06-08-02, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi yardnut,
I made that rebar suggestion here once a while back. Use 1/2 inch rebar and a couple pipe hangers on each post with some good long screws.
My bench blew over once, but not anymore:
http://www.photofun.com/IM/Templates...&SubSite=11008

fred

Old 07-19-02, 09:47 AM
It's done!!

I went ahead and poured concrete footers - used the 8" sauna tubes. Whew what a job to get them level and in the right spot. But it slipped in like a glove. I used the Wolmans F&P - good stuff. Made plenty of mistakes, it's not as sturdy as I would have liked - one of the 4x4's actually warped and pulled away from the toenailed crosspiece. That's probably my biggest gripe is the warping of the wood - I kept in covered till I used it, but if it had any room to warp after it was screwed in - it did. Sheesh. Anyway - I'm happy with it - it looks great - and I did it MYSELF!!!

Thanks for all the help and advice from you folks here!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: