Deck Fire Pit -- How can I keep it Safe?

Old 06-07-02, 09:08 AM
Coug
Visiting Guest
Deck Fire Pit -- How can I keep it Safe?

Last week, my wife bought one of those portable fire pits to enjoy on our deck. I'm concerned the heat off the bottom will damage the wood decking (it only sits about 8" off the deck). Is there some kind of insulating "thermal pad" I can pull together to protect the deck? My first thoughts were to use a some tile or something but wouldn't know what kind would actually protect the wood underneath. Any suggestions?

Old 06-12-02, 10:24 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
I have a ceramic? clay type of earthen chiminea fire pit type dealio. It sits in a metal frame that elevates it above the deck probably around the 8 inches yours does but i have never measured per se. I use it to burn brush and old newspaper and ive gotten it pretty hot without any problems to the 2x6 decking below it. However be aware that if you get these clay types really really hot .. they form a residue or something that will wash off making the deck a little pinker around there. But then im pushing this thing to the limits of pyromania and if you use it normally youd probably be fine. Hope this helps--Josh

Old 06-13-02, 01:03 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Bricks(or pavers) and sand

What I did with my fire pit on my deck is:

1. Lay a layer of 12"x12" concrete pavers
2. Border it with red bricks
3. Fill it with sand(excellent heat retardant)
4. Set the pit on top of sand

The whole setup cost me less than $50 and my deck is well protected. If desired, you can join the bricks with mortar.

Good Luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: