15 x 20 deck bd layout

Old 06-26-02, 06:06 AM
kybsqrd
Visiting Guest
15 x 20 deck bd layout

Any suggestions? I can only get 16' board. The deck is attached to my house on the 20' side with a beam running parallel. The joists run between the house and beam on 16" centers. If I go 45 degrees I will have a lot of joints on the board( 21 feet diagonal), that's where I'm leaning now.

THANKS!

Old 06-28-02, 05:33 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
What are you using for decking? The general rule is that diagonal pattern for 5/4 decking should be on 12" O.C. joists. This is true for cedar and some manufactured stuff as they are more springy than treated lumber. Menards sells a treated decking called "Thick deck" which is a full 1 1/8" thick. I laid it diagonal on 16" O.C. with no problem. Thompsanized brand is a little thinner, about 1". You might want a second opinion if your using that.

Old 07-11-02, 05:29 PM
BestDeckSite
Visiting Guest
pjb1 is right about finding out if the board you're considering using has enough stiffness before laying it down. If you're using non-wood decking, most manufacturers list allowable span limits. On the other hand, if you're using 5/4 treated Southern Pine decking with a 16" o.c. joist spacing is not recommended although 2x lumber works fine.

Have you considered using a "breaker board"? A breaker board runs perpendicular to the house and in your case, you would probably want to set it right in the middle of the 20' deck length for symmetry. The breaker board serves as an attractive visual break in the decking run and will also solve your board length issue. The rest of the decking would then be laid in a "V" shape pattern that meets at the breaker board. Note: If you use a breaker board and “picture framing” by running a single deck board around the perimeter of the deck and parallel to the edges, you can get away with using 14 footers.

Greg.
www.bestdecksite.com

Last edited by BestDeckSite; 07-13-02 at 04:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: